Need suggestions for our switzerland trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2011 at 11:15:04 #804516

hi, We are planning a family trip to switzerland from 26th aug 2011 till 2 or 3 sept 2011.I have sketched out an itiberary as follows:

day 1 (26th aug)- arrive in zurich airport.reach lucrene and overnight there
    day 2 (27th aug)- visit mt. pilatus, overnight in lucrene
    day 3 (28th aug)- if possible Mt. Titlis and take the last train on golden pass line to interlaken and overnight in interlaken
    day 4 (29th aug)- visit jungfraujoch
    day 5 (30th aug)- a day trip to zermatt, visit matterhorn and back to interlaken.overnight in interlaken
    day 6(31 aug)- take the morning train on golden pass lfrom interlaken-zweissmann-montreux.later visit chillon castle and lausanne
    day 7 (1st sept)- visit cheese and choclate factory
    day 8- need suggestion
    day 9- return to zurich for our flight back home

my questions:
    1. As per my itinerary I have day 8 free.Since my plans are still flexible I can squeeze in that extra day anywhere in my 3 base stations (lucrene, interlaken or montreux).Would be grateful for any suggestions.
    2.Also, I think a swiss saver pass with family card is most suited for us.or should i opt for other kind of pass.As per the current rates it will cost us about 980 CHF, are any discounts or offers applicable during our travel dates?
    3. What is the best kind of clothing for aug-sept weather?

thanks in advance,
    kavitha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 July 2011 at 10:12:47 #833585

Hi kavitha, and welcome! That’s quite a full travel schedule, but if you don’t mind long traveling times (for example on day 5 and 6) that’s fine of course. Did you check the timetable to find out about the exact duration of all trips? Personally, I would prefer to spend the extra day in the Interlaken region. It’s stunning and offers wonderful scenery, two beautiful lakes and several viewing points. I would even consider to skip the day trip to Zermatt to spend one more day there. This will also reduce traveling times and create a bit more space in your itinerary. But if you want to see as many different regions of the country as possible, your itinerary is great.

With an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass you’ll be flexible indeed (buying regular tickets for Zurich-Lucerne on day 1). This is definitely the right choice for your plans. You may adapt your plans according to the weather. For example: if weather is fine, you may prefer a boat ride over lake Thun or lake Brienz, or an easy hike in one of the beautiful valleys, over a cheese and chocolate factory visit. This is no problem with your Swiss Pass. Current purchase options are listed at the Swiss Pass page. This offer may be interesting to you.

As for clothing: you should be prepared for all kinds of weather. If you’re lucky, you’ll get to enjoy beautiful summer weather. But it may be cold and rainy as well. Anyhow, it will be pretty cold up at Mt. Tilis, the Jungfraujoch and other viewing points you may visit. So solid shoes and warm jackets are comfortable for those trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2011 at 16:05:31 #833586

Thank you so much for your suggestions Annika.I think we will reconsider our itinerary and skip Zermatt, esp since interlaken region also has so much to offer.Also, the kids may find that much travel too tiring.Just out of curiosity, which city in switzerland would you rate as the best?

Thanks,
    Kavitha

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 July 2011 at 4:24:36 #833587

Hello Kavitha. I like the smaller towns best, especially the ones embedded in beautiful scenery, as that’s what makes Switzerland so special. Lucerne is one of my personal favourites: it’s not that big, has a great atmosphere and is situated wonderfully. Berne has lots to offer as well, but that goes for nearly all cities. You could take a look at tourism websites of several cities and try to find out what appeals to you. Last but not least I should mention Interlaken: not so much because of the city itself, but because of its magnificent surroundings.

• The thread ‘Need suggestions for our switzerland trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.