Need suggestions on 5 days Switzerland late June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2017 at 8:56:24 #811973

Hi

We are a group of 2 adults and 2 kids(age of 5 and 8) and planning to reach Zurich on 27th June 2017 and will be heading to Paris on 3rd July 2017.After lot of research,I had come up with a sample itinerary and I would like to have expert opinion on this.Our accommodation at Grindelwald and Lucerne are fixed and will not be able to change.Otherwise,I am open to any suggestions and recommendations.I would be glad to hear if any changes to be done on the itinerary which can reduce the crowd and waiting time for cable cars,gondola etc.I would like to include Mt.Titlis too,but don’t know where to fit due to lack of time.

Day1

Reach Zurich airport by 1:30 PM.

Proceed to Grindelwald via Bern-Interlaken Ost.

Check into the hotel at Grindelwald.

Day 2

Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch via Kleine Scheidegg by train.

Spend 2 hours at Jungfraujoch.

Return to Grindelwald via Kleine Scheidegg by train.

Grindelwald to First by Gondola.

Return to Grindelwald by Gondola.

Day 3

Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen via Zweilütschinen by train.

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg by bus.

Stechelberg to Schilthorn by cable car.

Spend 2 hours at Schilthorn.

Schilthorn to Murren by cable car.

Walk from Murren to Gimmelwald.

Gimmelwald to Stechelberg by cable car.

Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen by bus.

Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald via Zweilütschinen by train.

Day 4

Checkout from hotel at Grindelwald.

Grindelwald to Brienz by train.

Drop luggages at Brienz.

Brienz to Ballenberg Ost by bus.

Spend 2-3 hours in Ballenberg museum.

Ballenberg Ost to Brienz by bus.

Breinz to Lucerne via Bruenig-Hasliberg by train.

Check into the hotel at lucerne.

Day 5

Luzern to Vitznau by boat.

Vitznau to Rigi Kulm by Cog wheel train.

Spend 2 hours at Mt Rigi.

Rigi Kulm to Rigi Kaltbad by walk.

Rigi Kaltbad to Weggis by cable car.

Weggis to Lucerne by boat.

Visit to aeschbach chocolatier lucerne.(hopefully will be open during weekends)

Day 6

Lucerne to Kreins by bus

Kreins to Frakmuntegg by gondola

Frakmuntegg to Pilatus by cable car

Spend 2 hours at Mt Pilatus

Pilatus to Alpnachstad by cog wheel train

Alpnachstad to Lucerne by boat

City visit and local sight seeing at lucerne

Day 7

Check out from hotel at lucerne.

Proceed to Paris via Basel.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 May 2017 at 15:44:38 #863919

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps, Suhailcp!

This looks like a well-planned itinerary. It’s full but all doable, and you’re avoiding extremely long traveling days. Do mind to make some back-up plans (museum and city visits, boat and train trips) in case weather isn’t favourable enough to visit the mountain tops that are on your list. Other than that there’s not much I would change. I don’t really see a way to fit in Titlis either, unless it’s at the expense of one of the other attractions. Theoretically you could do it on day 4 instead of the Ballenberg Open Air Museum, or combine it with Rigi/Pilatus on day 6/7. That will result in long days though and it wouldn’t be my personal preference, but it’s all about your priorities!

An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card will help you save money. You can compare them through the links I inserted. Apart from that, you need a ticket Paris-Basel. Please find details here: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 9:34:39 #863920

Thanks Annika for the feedback.We will certainly look for back-up plans in case of bad weather.We already have taken 8 days Swiss Travel Pass and our ticket from Basel to Paris.Looking at my itinerary,do you see any place where I have to pay extra other than my trip to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald?. I hope Mt.Rigi and Mt.Pilatus are fully covered with Swiss Travel Pass.What about Mt.Titlis? Is it fully covered? If I ask you to pick 2 from Rigi,Pilatus and Titlis,what will be your choice?.We would like to include one panoramic train journey and with limited time,I can only consider Brienz to Luzern by Golden Pass line.Even though,it is only recommended to have reservation for 2nd class,I am facing difficulty in booking it through goldenpass.ch site as it is not getting translated in the final stage of booking.Any alternative sites for the same?.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 15:32:23 #863921

You can see exactly what is and what is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here. We list the major attractions as well as a link to a PDF map for you.

I would choose Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi (I find in general terms Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis have similar scenery).

There is no need to make reservations on the train from Brienz to Luzern so don’t worry about that. 🙂
    They are all the Express train that is part of the Golden Pass route. Train timetables can be found here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Need suggestions on 5 days Switzerland late June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.