Need travel advices

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2010 at 9:51:36 #803924

Hi.
    I and my husband will travel to Switzerland on business this year but we will be there in different arrival time. I will arrive on the end of July, while my husbandwill arrive on the last week of August. Both of us will stay inLausanne until the end of October. On the last month of our stay, my husband have to travel to Geneva every official days. As our long stay in Switzerland, we also have plans to explore throughout this beautiful country and also neighbor countries on weekends and holidays.
    First, I think “Half Fare Card”will suitable for us but I wonder about the availability of “more than one month validity” Half Fare Card or not. And we will purchase “Swiss Flexi Pass” for our trips on Holidays. Is this good decision? And are there any suitable choices for us? Thank you in advance for your kind help.
    Pattama

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 July 2010 at 4:27:34 #831588

Hello Pattama, and welcome! The Half Fare Card may indeed be a good choice for your long stay in Switzerland. Several variants are available, the ‘tourist option’ being the Swiss Half Fare Card that’s valid during 1 month and costs CHF 99.00. A 1 year Half Fare Card is available as well. The costs are CHF 150.00, but if you intend to make quite some journeys, this will probably be cost effective. A Half Fare Card can be supplemented with a Montly Pass, which offers free travel during one month. If you intend to travel a lot in August/September, before your husband starts travelling to Geneva during weekdays, such a Montly Pass be a good option for you.

I’m not sure whether it’s wise to purchase a Swiss Flexi Pass on top of this. It offers some days of free travel and a 50% discount on all days between the first and last day of free travel, with a maximum validity of one month. As the Half Fare Card offers a 50% discount as well, a Swiss Flexi Pass would only be used for the days of free travel. The trips on these free travel days would have to be very long and intensive for the Swiss Flexi Pass to become cost effective.

In the end, it all depends on your exact travel plans and only exact calculations would give a definitive answer. I still hope these tips help a bit!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2010 at 11:14:57 #831589

Thank you so much for your kind advices.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2010 at 2:58:00 #831590

Hi again.
    Where can I find the details of Monthly pass? And how much does it cost?
    Thank you
    Pattama

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 July 2010 at 4:35:38 #831591

Hello Pattama! Details on the Monthly Pass can be found through the link I gave in my previous post. It can be found here again as well. This link (in English) may come in handy too. The costs are CHF 350.00 in 2nd class and CHF 550.00 in 1st class. This may seem to be a lot, but for 1 month of free and unlimited travelling it will probaby turn out to be cost effective. Good luck on your further preparations!

• The thread ‘Need travel advices’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.