Need urgent help Paris to Interlaken & Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 11:42:07 #809931

Hello,

I am traveling from US with my wife and we need to be in Interlaken by 1st of September. We will be traveling from Paris ( by train) to Interlaken. Train tickets are not booked yet.

We will be in Switzerland (Interlaken) for 2 nights ( 1st september to 3rd September) and need to go to Zurich airport on 3rd September night to catch our International flight on 4th September 7:40am. We are planning to go early to airport.

In switzerland, we are targeting only jungfru and mount Schilthorn in two days (2nd september whole day) and 3rd sept ( half day)

Question:

1. What is the best way to travel to from Paris to Interlaken. Fare is quite high without Swiss travel pass.

2. As we need to visit only two places in Switzerland, is it a good Idea to buy 3 day travel pass? Also, how much would it cost for individual tickets?

3. What is the good time to leave interlaken for Zurich (Which Train I can catch). Also, does the Swiss travel pass will cover my trip from Interlaken to Zurich Airport?

I am in little bit panic mood 🙁 and want to know this asap….

Really appreciate your feedback

Thanks

MLK

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 August 2016 at 12:27:11 #855280

Hi MLK, welcome to MySwissAlps!

No need to panic, I’m sure we can figure it out:

1. By train. You’ll need to book a train from Paris to Basel (Swiss border). From there, you don’t need to pre-book trains. Please see myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france/price for where to book. Indeed you won’t get the best price because your travel date is close. Booking early is cheaper.

2. Yes, a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass would be a good option. It will also cover any train from Basel to Interlaken, and from Interlaken to Zurich Airport. Please see here for what’s included: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

A good way to get the pass is to print it at home. That way you’ll have a pass when getting off the train in Basel, so you won’t loose time catching your next train to Interlaken. Please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass in 1-3 business days (no delivery fees). Alternatively, you can also choose to buy the pass and the ticket from Paris both through http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass.

3. That’s up to you. You can find all train schedules in the timetable. Airport hotels can be found here.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 13:17:26 #855281

Thanks a lot… yes it does help

1. What is the difference when we buy full ticket from Paris to Interlaken and Paris to Basel and then use swiss travel pass to reach Interlaken.

2. Will it be not a problem if I dont pre buy a ticket from Basel to Interlaken. Will I get seats when I reach to and try to book from there??

3. Also, do I need to buy Swiss travel pass before I book Paris to Basel because I think it give me option that if I have travel pass, price would be cheaper.

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 August 2016 at 14:21:35 #855282

Hi MLK,

1. You will have to check through the websites in my previous post. But, there is no 2-day Swiss Travel Pass, so you might as well take full advantage of the 3-day pass and only pay for a ticket to Basel.

2. No problem at all. There’s nothing to book. Just board the train and show the Swiss Travel Pass when requested.

3. The price won’t be lower because the pass is not valid in France.

BHUPENDER
    Participant
    17 posts
    19 August 2016 at 5:20:57 #855283

Hi,

The visit to Jungfrau depends upon the weather, please check the same, due to bad weather we could not visit that place in the month of September couple of year ago..

Keep back plan in place, say transport museum Interlaken ,worth, it will take 3-4 hrs. minimum to explore this museum.

Further you can plan trains journey from Interlakem to Luzern, we really enjoyed this journey & explore Luzern, chappel bridge walk, boating in river & visit to mount pilatus.

Plus point with luzern is that your journey towards Zurich to catch morning flight is much less as compared to Interlaken.

Enjoy your trip

Regards,

or in case you wish not to visit Luzern, then Mount titlis is the option.

BHUPENDER
    Participant
    17 posts
    19 August 2016 at 11:12:21 #855284

Correction

Transport museum Luzern not interlaken

thanx

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 23:08:06 #855285

Hi Arno,

A you suggested, i have booked Train from paris to Basel. Do I need to take any special train to Interlaken OST?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 23:10:47 #855286

Hello ,

Can you please help please help me with what do you mean when you say “Buy ticket to Jungfrau”.

We will have swiss travel pass (3 days). Do we need to buy separate tickets to go/enter to Jungfrau ? Or any other place?

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 August 2016 at 5:41:51 #855287

Hi MLK,

Any train is fine.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 August 2016 at 5:44:59 #855288

The link I gave you under point 2 shows exactly where the pass is valid. Please download the map. The ride to Jungfraujoch is partly free and partly discounted. You can buy it at any staffed station: myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/ tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2016 at 10:05:46 #855289

Hello,

I am trying to buy swiss travel pass but not able to select the dates? i did it earlier but my payment didn’t go through. Does it mean I can’t buy this travel pass online now?

What are my options now? 🙁

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 August 2016 at 10:16:08 #855290

Hi mlk1985,

The website I recommended takes up to 3 business days to send the pass through e-mail, so you’re too late for that option (see my first post). You can still order through the second website I mentioned. Please go to http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html and pick the “3 Consecutive Travel Days (e-pass)”.

Did this work for you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2016 at 10:38:54 #855291

Thanks..

Yes I can select the dates here on your second link. But this is not giving me an option for print at home. Do I still have this option with this second link? I cannot see. Or Do I need to print the confirmation page only and rest get the ticket from station?

Thanks for your help

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 August 2016 at 10:56:33 #855292

Did you select “3 Consecutive Travel Days (e-pass)” on the right side of the page? Just select it and go from there.

Did it work?

• The thread ‘Need urgent help Paris to Interlaken & Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.