Needs advice on 5-6 days trip in mid July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2012 at 9:22:24 #804852

Hello!!! This is my first time planning a family trip after my graduation. Since time is limited, we’ll only have 5-6 days to travel in mid July. There are 6 of us, parents in the 40-50s, me and siblings (16-26) and I would really appreciate any kind reviews on the itinerary! (draft) =)

Day 0, arrive at Zurich at night

Day 1, Zurich

Take the Funicular railway “Polybahn” and enjoy superb views of the city.

Bahnhofstrasse

Old Town

-Leave for Lucerne

Day 2, Lucerne

LAKE LUCERNE – and the Pilatus

Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrucke)

Anything I should see or do and I missed it out? or covering the lake and pilatus would take up the day?

Should I move to Berne or spend the night at Lucerne?

Day 3, Berne

Old Town

Zytglogge tower

House of Parliament

Stay in Berne or move to Montreux?

Day 4, 16th July – Montreux

Chocolate train

Castle

Stay in Montreux or move to Geneva?

Day 5, Geneva

Haven’t done research on Geneva yet

will either leave at night or the next morning

Do you guys think I move around too much? as changing bases? will I be able to cover everything I listed for each day? suggestions are welcomed! thank you in advance! =)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 January 2012 at 7:04:06 #834671

Hi ohemgee, and welcome! I think your itinerary is doable; you haven’t planned too much. As for day 2: visiting the Pilatus, the Kappel bridge and taking a (short) lake cruise will take up most of your day indeed. Lucerne-Berne is a 1 hour train ride, so it doesn’t really matter whether you plan this on day 2 or 3. I do advise to spend the night after your visit to Bern in Montreux, since the Chocolate Train trip leaves quite early and takes up a few hours. Montreux-Geneva is only a short ride, so spending the night in either Montreux or Geneva after day 4 won’t make that much of a difference.

You can find and book hotels through this hotel page and use the timetable to plan your trips. And have you already considered a Swiss rail pass to minimize travel costs? I think you’d profit from a Swiss Half Fare Card or – if the idea of free traveling appeals to you – a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass for day 1-4. (Local trips in Geneva on day 5 would be covered by the Geneva Transport Card you’ll receive from your Geneva hotel.)

• The thread ‘Needs advice on 5-6 days trip in mid July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.