Looking for monthly pass to commute to Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2016 at 14:09:18 #810100

Hi! I am new here. Everyday I commute from Coppet to Geneva, vice versa. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to recommend the most cost efficient rail pass for a 26 yr old student. There are so many different plans that I don’t even know where to begin, and that mixed with the different rail zones, becomes all the more complicated.

I am open to all and any suggestions 😉 thanks for all your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 September 2016 at 14:24:43 #855994

Hi plane, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Public transport in some regions in Switzerland is using a unified tariff system. It basically means that you pay based on a zone system. Zones are geographical areas. So traveling in more zones is more expensive. The big advantage is that you don’t need different tickets for different modes of transport. You just need one ticket and can switch from train to bus to tram to boat as you like, as long as you stay within the zones you paid for.

For Geneva and its surroundings, including Coppet, please see the Unireso website http://www.unireso.com/en

If you plan to explore more of Switzerland during the weekends you may want to have a Swiss Half Fare Card as well. It gets you 50% off nearly all all tickets, including the Unireso tickets. But, the best choice depends on your plans besides commuting.

• The thread ‘Looking for monthly pass to commute to Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.