New unlimited data SIM card for Switzerland

• Arno
    15471 posts
    14 April 2016 at 8:57:07 #808904

Hi everyone,

OneSimCard now offers an unlimited data SIM card that includes Switzerland as well. The price of the optional unlimited data package is $125 per month. So, there are cheaper options for the average user, but if you plan to use a lot of data this package could be interesting for you. It covers the rest of Europe as well.

For details, please see http://www.onesimcard.com/faq /, or check option 2 and 3 on our SIM card page at myswissalps.com/ simcard.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 1:00:57 #850747

Hi Arno

Thanks for the information.

Will look into it.

Regards

Leila

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 3:15:10 #850748

Hi Arno, I tried booking 1 GB prepaid sim card from simlystore.com. the address section in registration of the account does not give India as an option to deliver sim cards. Is the site only for Europe and USA. If this is so what is my options to buy a similar sim card for 10 days in Switzerland. I will be there in late June and would start my journey from Zürich. Do we get such sim cards at Zurich airport. – Vishal

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 April 2016 at 12:39:12 #850749

Hi vishaludawat,

They did offer shipping to India but had a lot of problems with failed deliveries, so they stopped. They don’t have an alternative for Indian customers yet. However, the other option discussed on myswissalps.com/ simcard is http://www.onesimcard.com/one simcard-europe-and-more, and they do ship to India. And I am planning to test a third option but I won’t have details about that until June or so.

There is a Swisscom store at Zurich airport. I don’t know their products in detail but they should be able to get you a SIM card if the above option doesn’t work for you either.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2016 at 13:05:50 #850750

Thanks Arno, I will try this option but the simlystore.com was good as it was all prepaid and no other charges. I hope I will get similar sim card at Swisscom store on Zurich airport. Please update if you find something for me. – Vishal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 7:48:04 #850751

Hi…

Well if you have someone in the UK, and you still have time for your visit, you can ask them to send you a 3 (THREE) Pay-as-you-go sim card. The blank sim card costs £1 only. And then they have a host of data options : 1 GB for £10, 12 GB for £20 and Unlimited data for £25 only. Not only this, the data (as well as the talk & text) features are available in 18 countries (which they call as Feel-at-Home countries). I am currently visiting Paris with Switzerland and Rome being my next destination over next 10 days and I got one from my friend couriers to my Paris hotel as I did this at the last moment with no time to courier to India.

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/ SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 4:56:11 #850752

Hi sskundu the offer looks great. I have 2 months for my travel so time is not a problem. Just few more questions – is it only available in uk. If i get this blank sim and get it courriered to India, how will I fill data in it. Also is it working in Switzerland. – Vishal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 6:55:37 #850753

THREE wont courier it to India (though the irony is their customer service support is based out of Pune… LOL)…. You need to have a friend send it to you. Refilling can be done online but the site accepts only UK based bank account / credit card. My friend did it for me and I paid her the equivalent amount in INR. The 12 GB add on costs £ 20 so I paid Rs. 2000.

Yes, Switzerland is included in their 18 Feel-at-Home countries so it will work. You would have to manually search their partner network. You can go through the URL I gave in my last message. The plans also give you free talk and text features but those are only for calls made to UK while in roaming not to India (that would be standard price). Go through the link and you should be able to understand all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 8:00:35 #850754

Thank you so much for the detailed information. – Vishal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 12:36:15 #850755

sskundu, how did the “Three” SIM card work for you in Paris and Switzerland ?

Best

MK

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 13:50:24 #850756

My friend activated and sent me the same so I am not sure how, but when I read Tre’s UK site, they said it works in 18 countries. Just that you have to roam on their partner network (manually search & set).

Otherwise you can get local sims – not at all complicated to buy or use. In Paris, Lycamobile is cheap & has good network (leaders Orange & SFR have expensive plans). Lyca sim costs €10 which has €5 credit. If you refill another €5 (making it total €10 balance, you can activate 1 GB data pack for one month).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 13:51:57 #850757

Similarly for Switzerland, you can buy Salt mobile. I am not sure of their plans but would have cheaper plans to last a week or month. Available at Genevé station and many places

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 5:24:22 #850758

Thanks ,

Will try to get local SIM then. Did your “Three” SIM worked fine, in terms of coverage etc, did you had to pay anything more than £20 for your 12GB plan ?

Best

MK

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 6:16:13 #850759

No did not pay anything as such.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 9:42:57 #850760

Cool good to know, how was the coverage on Switzerland & Paris ?

• The thread ‘New unlimited data SIM card for Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.