Not been to switzerland before

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2014 at 9:27:33 #806485

Hi I am hoping to travel next Jan to Chur.Zematt and Interlaken, im a little confused about the best way to do this, we want to travel 1st class on the Glacier Express and also the Bernina express and also the Jungfrau as well , we are not skiiers and are visiting to see the sights and my hubbys 50th , ive seen the Swiss pass and wonder is this the best way to go ? hope you can help ,and I like cable cars but my hubbys doesn’t , so want to see area around Zematt ie Matterhorn thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 July 2014 at 12:19:52 #840380

Hi zippy, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I recommend to first create your itinerary. After that you can pick a rail pass as explained here.

January is a wonderful time to see Switzerland if you like snow! The best itinerary depends on where you wish to enter and leave Switzerland, and how long your entire trip should take. Step by step instructions on how to compose an itinerary, and itinerary samples, can be found here. Be sure to read our pages about the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Jungfraujoch. Once you have a plan, feel free to post further questions here.

Alternatively, you can have experts create and book a customized holiday package for you here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2014 at 8:16:18 #840381

Hi Thank You are will start my plan 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2014 at 10:49:44 #840382

Hi zippy – there are mountain tops you can reach without using cable cars (we like cable cars and gondolas but the year our daughter came to join us on our holiday we had to plan for trips without them as she doesn’t like them either). Jungfraujoch is reached by cogwheel train – no cable car involved. In Zermatt you can take the cogwheel train ride to Gornergrat for great views of the Matterhorn provided it is a clear day with no clouds. Using the timetable you can tell what mode of transport is used for your planned excursions as it tells you on there. Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2014 at 14:50:51 #840383

Hi Thanks for your reply , all looks so complicated when you havent done this before , but thank you those 2 are def on my list 🙂

• The thread ‘Not been to switzerland before’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.