Oberland Suggest 8 Night Honeymoon in Switzerland

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    28 April 2015 at 6:31:37 #807145

Hi

Hope you are all well. I would like to go to Switzerland for honeymoon and interested to see scenic, green natural stuff like mountains, valleys, rivers, waterfalls etc. I have decided to have two bases (3 days in Lucerne and 5 days in Wengen) I have chalked out the following itinerary and have a few questions about it:

Day 1:
    a. Arrive Zurich
    b. Zurich airport to Luzern
    Chapel Bridge (Kapellbrucke)
    Rest – evening walk, explore the place

Day 2:
    a. Day trip to Mt. Titlis

Day 3:
    a. Lake lucerne boat ride in afternoon
    Mount Rigi

Day 4
    Move to WengenLauterbrunnen Valley waterfalls
    Trummelbach Falls

Day 5
    Go to Junfraugh Full day

Day 6
    Hiking Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail or Gimmelwald (Any better hiking suggestion)

Day 7
    Suggestions?

Day 8
    Suggestions?

Day 9
    Return Home

1. Do you recommend improvements to the above itinerary? Please advise what I should do on Days 7 and 8. Is day trip to Zermatt or Bern possible? Other day trips from my 2 bases?
    2. Somebody suggested that there is no need to have both Jungfarugh and Titlis in the same itinerary and I could drop one. Is that right? If yes, which one can be dropped and what would be a good alternative?
    3. In Oberland, I am unable to decide which village should I make my base out of these: Wengen or Murren or Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. I want to live in a beautiful village. Also, recommend a good accommodation for a honeymoon couple.
    4. What kind of train pass would be the most suitable for us?

Thank you all for your replies in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 April 2015 at 15:04:07 #842763

Hi msra7hm2! Let’s take a look at your questions.

1. In my opinion, your itinerary is just fine. Lucerne and the Jungfrau region both make great bases for a relaxed holiday that allows you enjoy very diverse activities. I wouldn’t change anything if I were you. Day 8 and 9 can easily be spent in the Bernese Oberland / Jungfrau region too, especially if weather is nice. Tips can be found here. You can make a day trip to Zermatt indeed; please check the timetable for details. Bern and Thun are nice for cultural sightseeing to, and easier to reach than Zermatt.

2. That’s very personal. Both Titlis and Jungfraujoch offer the experience of being in between the highest, snow-capped mountain tops. The rides are very different though. And what’s special about the Jungfraujoch (for me) is the wide view over the impressive Aletsch glacier. I suggest that you check both pages carefully and decide for yourself what appeals to you. If weather cooperates and skies are clear, I think you’ll find both viewing points stunning.

3. Again, there’s no common recommendation. Many prefer Wengen and Mürren because of their beautiful views, but Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald are easier to reach and located more centrally. Similar questions have been addressed in other forum topics, and they may help you decide:

4. Which pass is best depends on your plans for day 7 an day 8. I think you should look into an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card once your itinerary is finalized.

Does this help you to further shape your plans?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2015 at 1:34:08 #842764

Annika, a forum moderator and expert on the region, has given you good information, and good directions for learning more.

As an experienced traveler in Switzerland, I like your itinerary a lot. Your first day is the way things should be done. It is smart to establish a few base locations and travel from them for day trips.

You did not say when you hope to be in the Berner Oberland.

At the higher altitudes, including the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk, the time of year can make a real difference in trail accessibility.

When will you travel?

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    29 April 2015 at 4:15:37 #842765

I would be arriving in Zurich on 2 October and hiking trips would be around 7 8 9 October. What do you think ??

Thank you

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2015 at 7:26:33 #842766

This has already been discussed and answered in your other topic.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    29 April 2015 at 8:54:46 #842767

Thanks a lot for the excellent replies.

I’m still unable to decide if I should explore the Thun and Bern area or explore more of Gimmelwald, Murren and such Areas.

Am I missing out much if I don’t include Zermatt, Schilthorn and Pilatus in my itinerary or the other things compensate for it ??

How does adding Brienzer Rothorn

On Day 7 sound ? Is it advised ? And Niesen?

I’m worried about the evenings in Wengen. I heard that everything closes by 6 and it gets dark then. What do the tourists do in such places? Are the restaurants open?

Thank you for your guidance.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2015 at 13:29:34 #842768

These reports about Wengen should give you some information about the town.

myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

and

uk.weather.com/climate/ sunRiseSunSet/Wengen+-+Kleine+Scheidegg +BE+Switzerland+ 615:11:SZ?month=10

Compare June and October

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2015 at 14:21:19 #842769

I would not worry too much about missing out. As long as you’re in the Alps nearly all of it is beautiful and worth a visit, as long as the weather is good. That includes Brienzer Rothorn and Niesen. My advice would be to visit our pages about the attractions, read the info, watch the pictures, and make a selection. Then take your time for the places you do visit, and come back for more another time. You would not be the first who plans a one time visit, but gets addicted 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2015 at 15:44:40 #842770

Arno-

Sorry about the links. I could not open your *.SWF instruction file because I do not maintain the necessary software on my computer. I observe thatthe links are in blue when I post my reply, but become inactive when the post appears in the forum.

I think your reply about “missing out” really is on the mark. A popular phrase over here theses days is “It’s all good!” It applies.

It would certainly be possible to make some of the decisions on the ground, after a few days in Switzerland, and in the Berner Oberland. And, each person will have their preferences based on their own attitudes and experiences and specific needs.

I’ve been up on the Brienzer Rothorn more than all of the other mountains mentioned put together. Not that the other mountains are not quite interesting and different…neither better nor worse….the reason is the trail to Schönbüel. I had friends living in Lungern. Or, I stayed at the formerly excellent Weisses Kreuz in Brienz (conveniently at the foot of the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn) before it changed hands, got run down, and has only come back partway. Nice terrace to eat on with lake views. Don’t know how the kitchen is these days.

Personal preferences are hard to judge beforehand, and the good thing about the itinerary that we are discussing is that it has a couple of days at the end for flexibility.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    29 April 2015 at 16:13:33 #842771

Thanks all for your replies. Please also recommend the best scenic train and cruise journeys for my trip.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2015 at 16:20:12 #842772

Please read the material on this forum.

It discusses many of these topics.

myswissalps.com/activities

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    29 April 2015 at 16:23:51 #842773

Thanks a lot for the link. I was just wondering if I could get a personal experience of someone that might help me make my kind. There’s a lot of information out there which makes it even more difficult to decide

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2015 at 17:16:58 #842774

@Slowpoke: I think you do the linking right, but I assume there’s a problem in the forum software. It should be better after the next site update. It should create links automatically. Whether the link button stays in place is yet to decide; there will be many changes but most should go unnoticed. The swf file can be opened in Internet Explorer. Your computer will probably not suggest that, but it will work if you open it in Internet Explorer.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2015 at 17:21:07 #842775

@msra7hm2: I did nearly all attractions on this website myself and honestly like them all. I do have preferences but they may be different from yours. For example, I really like the Bernina Express. But it’s not anywhere near the regions you’ve planned to stay in. So I would not recommend to change your plans because I like that train. There’s plenty to see in the Lake Lucerne area and Jungfrau region. I do recommend to plan for a few more hikes if the weather allows it. It’s the best way to see Switzerland. You’ll find lots of them in the hiking section.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    29 April 2015 at 18:04:30 #842776

Thanks a lot i like the hiking idea for the 2 to 3 days in bernese oberland. So what seems to me is I can only enjoy the golden pass train that too from luzern to interlaken route only. And probably brienzer rohtorn.

Is there a beautiful train that stops in a countryside where there is a small station we can get down, walk into the village enjoy the nature privacy and quiet atmosphere. Are Swiss sensitive about trespassing in their villages or farms ?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 April 2015 at 23:55:52 #842777

[quote]m

“<< Is there a beautiful train that stops in a countryside where there is a small station we can get down, walk into the village enjoy the nature privacy and quiet atmosphere.”>>

Yes. Wengen.

Country villages do not., however, tend to have active nightlife, which you asked about earlier.

And, in the mountains, nice walks with nature tend to involve a bit of climbing.

A specific trip you could take from Luzern into the Emmental countryside would meet your dscription. Go to Trub (near Langnau in Emmental) , as detailed below.

Some of the countryside nearby this/these village/ villages is discussed in a separate thread about Langnau, with some pictures illustrating the region.

myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/langnau-in-may

Here is the route to meet your request. There are many, many others.

Take the train from Luzern to Trubschachen, in the Emmental.

Get off, catch the bus to Trub.

Get off, admire the village. Possibly eat there.

Walk back to Trubschachen..

Take the train back to Luzern.

For a picture of Trub, and of an old inn in Trubschachen, look at the pictures in the second post in the thread noted above.

• The thread ‘Oberland Suggest 8 Night Honeymoon in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.