Oct 1 to 15: Is this a good time for Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2016 at 5:03:32 #809387

I am planning to visit Swiss in some time from 4-Oct to 15th Oct-2016. Is this a good time go to Lucerne, Interlaken and take Glacier express from Zermatt to St.Moritz.

Many blogs have mentioned that during 1st half of October these places kind of shuts down with no restaurant, no boats at Lakes and no one around. Wanted to get your opinion on this.

I am planning to stay at Lucerne to visit Mt Pitalus and Mt. Rigi. Enjoy the lake Lucerne with boat ride. Then move to Interlaken to visit Mt.Jungfraujoch. Enjoy the boat ride at Lake Thun or Lake Brienz. Then I am planning to Glaciar Express from Zermatt to St.Mortiz. I am planning to get 8 days Swiss Pass with Family card. Myself, Wife and two children, 7yrs and 12 yrs.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 June 2016 at 0:52:56 #852773

Hi Sabypradhan-

Welcome to my Swiss Alps.

October is a changeable month, but early October will still have lots of services and facilities open and welcoming.

If I were doing that trip, I’d put the Berner Oberland into my schedule as early as possible.

Luzern would be last…purely for seasonal weather considerations.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2016 at 18:06:50 #852774

Hi Slowpoke,

thanks for your answer. One more question: If I take Glacier Express from Brig to St.Moritz on 9th Oct. Will it be good. Also will hotels be open on 9th Oct for overnight stay. I am travelling with family 2 Adults+ 2 Children( 12yr, 7 yr).

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 June 2016 at 18:46:03 #852775

Sure, there are plenty of hotels to choose from: myswissalps.com/ stmoritz/hotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2016 at 4:59:28 #852776

Below is my plan. Pl comment on this. Requesting your expert opinion, because I do not want to come all the way from India and not enjoy SWISS because of October weather. I am not used to cold climate, as I live in India. I am used to temperature variation from 20 degree Celsius (Winter) to 40 dgree Celsius (summer).

Will it help significantly, if I do this last week of sept. Or should I push it all the way to May.

Oct 1: Arrive at Lucerne

Oct 2: to Oct 4 at Lucerne: Visit Mt Pitalus, Mt.Rigi, Lucerne-Mt Titlis

or Stanserhorn

Oct -5: Transit to Interlaken.

Oct -6 to Oct 7 at Interlaken: Visit Mt.JUNGFRAUJOCH., boat ride at lakes

Oct – 8 : Transit to Brig to catch Glacier Express till St. Moritz. Overnight stay at St. Moritz.

Oct- 9: Board Bernia Express from St. Moritz to Tirano. Then go to Venice(Italy)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2016 at 9:09:50 #852777

Hi Sabypradhan-

Late September would likely be a bit better for weather, but from this date it is impossible to predict which would be better between the last week of September and first week of October in 2016. I like to travel in September…on average, the best month for weather.

The attached images at Männlichen above Wengen were taken in the last week of September in 2009, on an exceptionally sunny and clear day. Note the jackets. Hard to remember, but I’m guessing that in the sun, the temperature was about 20 or 21 degrees Celsius.

At high altitudes, sunlight can be intense and warming. A breeze makes quite a difference. Absent sun, it would be hard to get up to 20 degrees.

September has a much better chance of being dry than May.

May can be beautiful and warm, or cold and rainy at lower altitudes. The high alpine regions – such as near the Jungfrau – are pretty much shutdown. Not enough snow left for skiing. Enough snow left to block many of the higher hiking trails. Only a few hotels are open, and most cableways are not running. The cograil train to Jungfraujoch runs all year ’round.

October is also between seasons, but not shut down as much as May in the Alps. Still hiking and the earliest part of October is till pretty active.

Please check these links:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

This link may be interesting. It suggests that you will have a refreshingly cool travel experience in Switzerland, compared to India, and that you will join the many thousands of people from India that have endured the low temperatures in order to see the alpine scenery. 😉

swiss-climate-weather.all-about-switzerland.info/

Just remember – altitude really matters.

Please watch your spelling, especially when you use the timetable –

Bernina, Pilatus…

The name of the country in English is Switzerland.

In English, Swiss is an adjective, as in Swiss chocolates.

If you speak French or German, the English name is confusing, be because the name of the country in those languages is “die Schweiz” or “la Suisse.”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2016 at 13:41:52 #852778

Hi Slowpoke,

Sorry about the spelling mistakes and not writing country name properly. Will take care of these in future.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Regards

Saby

• The thread ‘Oct 1 to 15: Is this a good time for Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.