One day in Interlaken – what to do nearby

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 8:57:02 #811983

Hi team

We are a family of four with 2 kids under 12. We planned for an extra day in Interlaken in case weather doesn’t help us with Jungfraujoch. I am looking for some ideas to spend the one extra day at Interlaken. We plan to fairly cover Luzern, Zermatt , Zurich – also we have scheduled Alps, travel in boats, Glacier train. One item we would be interested to see is countryside with cows etc. Is Wengen worth trying for this? I guess this will not take one full day. I also thought about Montreux . Its a long travel both ways and we are not sure if we have anything to see differently in and around station of Montreux.

Thanks, Cheers

Basker

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 9:53:00 #863959

Hi Basker,

Considering what you have planned already I think the best bet would be Wengen or perhaps Lauterbrunnen.

Both places offer great scenery and nice hikes (or easy walks) for you and the family to enjoy and both are easily accessible from Interlaken. Have a look through the links above and click on the “What to Do” tabs to see a list of activities.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:23:37 #863960

Hi Basker

If the weather is not suitable for jungfraujoch, you could consider a day at Ballenberg Open Air Museum. The children will find it fun – there is a lot to see and do – lots of animals, not just cows. It is easy to reach from Interlaken, via Brienz. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, it is free.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:36:31 #863961

Thank you Lucas and Maggiehorswell

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 13:34:16 #863962

Hi

Just thinking about another alternate for Interlaken. We planned to stay 3 nights in Interlaken. Now thinking of staying same 3 nights in Lauterbrunnen and cover Jungfraujoch and possibly Wenger and/or Museum.

1. Any thoughts or drawback of this alternate? We planned to arrive Interlaken from Luzern and next stop for us is Chur.

of course, we have to commute via Interlaken which will take another 30 minutes in travel on each leg.

2. Is the local sightseeing better in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?

3. Is there any weather difference between these two cities?

4. We may drop into Interlaken instead of Wengen. If we don’t stay at Interlaken, will we miss anything?

Thanks

Basker

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    30 May 2017 at 14:59:49 #863963

If you’re in Interlaken or easier still in Lauterbrunnen, a trip to Murren and then the funicular up to Allmendhubel is well worth it and there is a playground there with the most spectacular views. There are also cliff walks at Birg or at First – the gondola ride up to First is really nice (small cars fit only your family – no tight squeeze!) and there are plenty of cows there. My kids of a similar age have enjoyed all those trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:45:07 #863964

HI Radbas,

1. The town of Lauterbrunnen is definitely more interesting than Interlaken – I would stay in Lauterbrunnen.
    2. Weathershould be similar between the two towns.
    3. No I don’t really think so. Except perhaps the nearby lakes of Thun and Brienz.

Cheers,
    Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 May 2017 at 18:11:52 #863965

Hi Radbas,

For the best cow bell experience check out the Pilatus Gondola from Kriens or the Rigi – Arth-Goldhau train.

The trip from Arth-Goldhau to Luzern is very aromatic in an agricultural sense.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 7:20:47 #863966

Thanks Lucas.

I am not sure of getting a required accommodation in Lauterbrunnen. But there are some in Wengen area. Is transportation to/from Wengen through a normal train or via cogwheel?

How about staying in Wengen and moving around to Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken?

Thanks, Cheers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 8:29:42 #863967

Wengen is about a 20 minute train ride from Lauterbrunnen – so no worries about staying there instead!
    It is a large cogwheel train running to Wengen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 8:32:59 #863968

Thanks Lucas.

I guess the STP pass covers train up to Wengen.

Also, can you let me know if we can carry the luggage / suit case in cogwheel train comfortably?

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 9:30:17 #863969

Yes, your Swiss Travel pass covers your trip to either town 100% from Interlaken or before. See a map of all routes it covers here.

Yes, no worries with luggage. Cars aren’t allowed in Wengen so are travelers must take the train with their luggage.

• The thread ‘One day in Interlaken – what to do nearby’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.