One more Q about the Swiss Pass!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2014 at 17:41:18 #806249

Hi Arno!

This is a good website you have here!

Okay so one more Q about which pass would suit us best – we are 2 adults + 1 child below 16. Travel is from end-May to beginning June. I’ve done some maths, but would like your view too to double check.

Day 1 – Arriving late into Lucerne by train from Austria. No pass required today.

Day 2 – Mt Titlis. Stay in Lucerne

Day 3 – Mt Pilatus. Stay in Lucerne

Day 4 – Day free for local sightseeing. Swiss transport museum etc. Stay in Lucerne

Day 5 – Train to Zurich and visit Bahnofstrasse etc. Stay in Zurich

Day 6 – Train to Lausanne. Local sightseeing. Stay in Lausanne

Day 7 – Glacier 3000. And maybe Montreux and Vevey. Stay in Lausanne

Day 8 – Train to Geneva. Stay in Geneva

Day 9 – Flight back at night from Geneva.

In Lausanne and Geneva the hotel will give us a local card for transport. Would this be good to explore?

Overall, my calculation suggest a Half-Fare card, or a 2-day Flexi pass, but my date is beyond May 31, so I cannot use that.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 March 2014 at 18:27:16 #839557

Hi mikkumumbai,

Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts about our website. Good to hear that!

I think you are right about choosing the Swiss Half Fare Card. That’s because you mostly make short trips, apart from the transfer from Zurich to Lausanne. The Swiss Flexi Pass would not suit your plans, because it’s validity only starts from the first day of free traveling. You do not need free traveling during your first 4 days, but you do need the discounts which you will only get with a valid pass.

Your itinerary looks like it’s well though out. Still I have two suggestions you may want to consider:

1. Zurich is only 45 minutes by train from Lucerne. You can easily do a trip while having Lucerne as your base town on day 5 as well. That saves you the time and effort of changing hotels and packing/unpacking.
    2. If you do so, it would be even easier to traveling along the Golden Pass route to Montreux and Lausanne on day 6.

I wish you a wonderful trip. If possible, a short trip report would be most welcome!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2014 at 18:59:55 #839558

Hi there Arno

Thanks for your quick reply! This is the first time I’ve gotten onto this website, very helpful indeed. I will definitely do a trip report on my return. I have in fact posted various hotel reviews on TA’s website, so I could also post some here if you have a hotel review section.

1. About staying in Lucerne for Day 5, that was the original plan, but the hotels in Lucerne are charging double specifically for that 1 friday night! So I had to shift to Zurich due to costs.. i was anyway planning on doing a day trip there,.. might include rhine falls with the extra time

2. The Geneva card which the hotel will give me, does it cover the cost from city centre to the Geneva airport?

3. Given a choice, would you rather recommend Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi? The pictures of Pilatus looked more stunning, and it may have snow end of May? (Rigi does not)

Yes, it has taken a lot of research and calculation in planning this itinerary!

Thanks again

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 March 2014 at 19:30:19 #839559

Hi mikkumumbai,

We don’t have a special review section for hotels, but you can definitely include hotel experiences in your trip report. People will find that very helpful.

As for your questions:

1. If you have not booked your hotel in Zurich yet, be sure to look here to the manually selected hotels across all price ranges.

2. Yes, it does. See here for more information.

3. Both excursions are very different. You can best read the specific pages about the Pilatus and the Rigi and then decide what you like best. The trip up to the Pilatus is indeed more spectacular, with a very steep cogwheel train (on one end), and your chances of snow will be better (but you will see snow at the Titlis anyway). The trip to the Rigi is more diverse as you can combine it with various boat trips and some easy hiking. Either trip will be great if the weather is clear.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2014 at 18:44:04 #839560

Thanks Arno!

And children below 16 travel free with parents on Half-fare card right?

Annika
    7121 posts
    13 March 2014 at 19:04:15 #839561

That’s correct. You need a free Swiss Family Card and then your children under 16 travel along for free. See here for details.

Kind regards,

Annika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2014 at 19:17:32 #839562

Hi again

Any advice for Day 5 for travel in Zurich? There are so many Zurich passes, its confusing! We would probably visit Altstadt and Rhine Falls on Day 5 in Zurich.What pass should we get for this day alongwith our Half-fare card?

Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 March 2014 at 6:27:02 #839563

Hello mikkumumbai,

You can buy a ZVV day pass for all zones in and around Zurich. With a Swiss Half Fare Card, it will only cost CHF 16.60. It’s valid in the city and all the way to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall (the Rhine Falls).

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 June 2014 at 19:53:17 #839564

Hi mikkumumbai,

How was your trip? Did you like the mountain trips and other excursions? A trip report would be great, and it can win you a free night in a hotel.

I hope you had a great time in Switzerland!

• The thread ‘One more Q about the Swiss Pass!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.