One night St Moritz: Piz Nair or Muottas Muragl ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 21:11:02 #809045

Unfortunately we will have just one night in St Moritz in August (because I know there is a free cablecar offer if you stay two nights). And I think our Swiss Travel Passes do not get us any discount as well (we don’t plan on visiting Corvatsch). We want to keep our hotel reservation and our dinner booking in St Moritz. We leave early the next morning on the Glacier Express to Zermatt.

If the weather is good I’d like to visit either Piz Nair or Muottas Muragl. I’ve gone on the sbb.ch site and both start points are accessible from our hotel with just a 4 minute walk. Piz Nair by 2 funiculars and 1 cable car. Muottas Muragl by a bus and a funicular.

We won’t be able to start either trip until about 14:00. I know that Muottas Muragl is open later in the summer, if that makes a difference.

If the weather is clear (we won’t do either if it is not obviously), which do you recommend?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    29 April 2016 at 16:46:59 #851355

Hi Canadarocks,

Both can be highly recommended. Piz Nair would be a bit easier to reach from your hotel. It offers views of the lakes and several mountain tops. Muottas Muragl does so as well, but offers a wider view of the Upper Engadine lake region. If you’d like to combine your visit with having dinner, the panoramic restaurant at Muottas Muragl would be a great option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2016 at 20:19:38 #851356

We will be eating dinner at our hotel that evening. Hopefully the weather will be good and knowing that we can only choose one, which of the two would you recommend?

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 April 2016 at 11:50:53 #851357

You really can’t go wrong with either. You just need good weather. Personally, with limited time, I would do the one that is easiest logistically: Piz Nair. Afterwards a stroll around the lake may be.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 14:00:55 #851358

Thank you Arno & Annika. Good to know that they’re both good choices. Hope the weather is clear!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2016 at 10:37:33 #851359

I’ve read on this website that Piz Nair is a difficult trail, over 5 hrs to complete, 16 km. Is it possible to do a partial walk on this trail …. and is it really difficult? Like canadarocks, we are in St. moritz for one night only. Thank you!

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 May 2016 at 13:12:41 #851360

Hi Wayne,

There are multiple trails starting at Piz Nair. I suppose you mean the one to Bever? The main difficulty of that one is the length: over 16 km, lots of descending and nearly 6 hours (breaks not counted). Technically, the trail is not very difficult. There are other options too. You could follow the first part of this trail but then walk towards Alp Suvretta and finally to the Signal cable car, which takes you down to St. Moritz-Bad. It would guess this takes about 3 hours or so. It’s a very different walk though, scenery wise. The only way to shorten the original walk is to end it at Spinas and take a train there. Note that trains do not stop frequently there, but there’s a very nice restaurant to wait for the train if needed. You will save 50-60 minutes of walking by doing this, so it’s still a pretty long hike.

We have some technical issues right now so you may not be able to reply to my post immediately. Sorry for the inconvenience, we’re working on it!

• The thread ‘One night St Moritz: Piz Nair or Muottas Muragl ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.