Options on travel? Swiss card or Half fare?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2011 at 14:25:31 #804610

Hi, I am looking to travel to Wengen and spend 4 days there. I will be coming from Argentiere in France (Chamonix). Please could you tell me what the cheapest option would be for me to look at in terms of train travel.

The Swiss card OR

Half Fare card?

I will be doing some hiking around Wengen so will need to use some of the trains there. I found it difficult to find the price of the trip to get there return, if I did not purchase any of the above

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

thanks

L

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 August 2011 at 7:13:26 #833890

Hi Louise, and welcome! Which pass is more economical, actually depends on how you’ll be leaving the country. If you have to return to France by train, or if you plan to make another pretty long and expensive outbound trip by train, the Swiss Card is the better solution. If, on the other hand, your outbound trip will be short and inexpensive (in case you’ll be flying out from Zurich, for example), you’re better off buying the Swiss Half Fare Card.

If you know how you’ll be leaving, you can easily calculate which option is best. Regular and discounted fares can be found through the Swiss timetable. This FAQ explains how to do so. The Jungfrau railways timetable and price list may come in handy too.

I hope this helps you out!

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 August 2011 at 7:50:51 #833891

Hi again. I just made an extra calculation and found that the Swiss Card would still be better, even if you’d leave from Zurich. Sorry for providing the wrong example. In all, the Swiss Card is most probably the better alternative, unless your outbound trip from Wengen is pretty short.

• The thread ‘Options on travel? Swiss card or Half fare?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.