Switzerland itinerary, fondue, wine help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 0:38:11 #811214

We will be taking our first and probably our only trip to Switzerland in September.

We will be flying into Zurich and spending one night. We’ll do a walking tour of the old city that afternoon after a lunch.

The next am (day2) we are taking the train to Montreux. We will have a STP for 8 days. We will base in Montreux at the Hotel Splendid. We’ll investigate Montreux that day.

The next day (day3) we’ll take a train to Lausanne, Geneva and Velvey. Our plan is to take the boat back to Montreux that evening and would like a dinner cruise if that’s available.

Day 4 we will explore the chocolate factory and cheese factory in Guyere. Is there anything else we could do that day? Then we will leave on Day 4 on the train to Zermatt, staying st the Hotel Perren. That day we will go to the Gornegrat on the cogwheel. We also want to do the Matterhorn Museum that day if we can.

Day 5 we will go up the Matterhorn.

Day 6 we will travel to Lugano, staying at the Continential Park Hotel. There we’d like to take a boat trip on Lake Como, visit Belliago and other small towns. If available we’d like to do a dinner cruise on the lake. Not sure what else there is to do while there. We’ll be there 2 days.

From there we will travel to San Gianiamo via Milan to get a rental car. We will stay at an Agrotourismo four 4 nights.. Then to Florence for a few days then fly back to the states.

I need suggestions for the best restaurant for fondue in any of those cities. And any good but somewhat reasonably priced( dinner for 2 without wine for less than $100,00)

Any input on the fluency of this trip and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Beachgirl

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 9:43:45 #860650

Hi Beachgirl and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’ll chime in with a few comments where I can.

Have a look here for options in Montreux for you (including lake cruises).

Day 2: You might like to train to Luzern first and board the Golden Pass panoramic train to Montreux – hit the link to read more about it.

Day 4 seems quite busy with chocolate and cheese factories near Montreux as well as the train to Zermatt and a trip up Gornergrat. Be sure to check train times and duration for all your trips here.

Day 5: You can’t go up the Matterhorn, or were you talking about Klein Matterhorn and Glacier Paradise?

Day 6: I don’t have specific recommendations on Lugano – try having a look through their website at http://www.luganoturismo.ch

Fondue recommendations: I live in Zurich and can recommend two: The Swiss Chuchi Zürich in the Hotel Adler and Chäsalp. Another good option I haven’t been to yet but is quite popular is Zeughauskeller.

You should have no problem finding dinner for 2 for under $100 US without liquor. Though you might get close if you order an appetizer and dessert as well. Mains average around 25-30chf and appetizers and desserts run 10 to 20chf (1CHF = roughly 1USD).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2017 at 22:20:54 #860651

Thank you, Lucas, for your reply.

I like your suggestion regarding the Golden Pass panoramic train to Montreux. Should we book first class for best views and how long is that trip from Zurich?

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. We will be in Montreux day 2,3,4 ( day 4 we plan to do the chic. Train and cheese factory) and leave for Zermatt on day 5. Yes, I was referring to Klein Matterhorn and Glaciet Paradise. We hope to do that on day 6 .then we leave on day 7 for Lugano. It all depends on the distance we have to go on the train. I have not researched distances yet.

Thank you for your recommendations for fondue in Zurich. Can’t wait!! I’d love a recommendation for dinner in both Montreux and Zermatt.

If anyone can give me some more information about Lugano and Lake Como, I’d really appreciate the help.

Is it best to use our credit card in Switzerland or some others have suggested getting another credit card that you down load money you want to spend on it and reload it if you need more? Any thoughts?

Also, what is the best sim card for our iPhones to purchase? We are bringing our iPads and is there an app we should download before we leave the U.S?

Again, thank you for your help.

Beachgirl

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 8:43:09 #860652

Hi Beachgirl,

I think 1st class on panorama trains is a great option if it is within your budget – if not it isn’t a big concern. 1st class is definitely not worth it on any non-panoramic trains (ie 95% of trains in Switzerland).

You can find train schedules and duration here.

I haven’t spent too much time in either town so can’t give any restaurant recommendations for Montreux or Zermatt – perhaps other members can.

Some people do indeed get a Visa debit etc. to try and avoid currency fees. I know it works fine for people who do it but I don’t have specific details on it. Credit cards are find to use as well – I still use my Canadian Visa from time to time. I would always have some Swiss Francs on you as some some small retailers will be cash only.

We have an information page on SIMCard options and a travelersWiFi that has gotten great reviews.
    I would download the Swiss railways app for sure – “SBB Mobile”

Lucas

• The thread ‘Switzerland itinerary, fondue, wine help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.