Paris – Zurich Vacation confused about passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2010 at 16:51:55 #803839

Hi,

I have planned for 7 days in Paris and Switzerland . We are 4 persons (2 adults and 2 kids , ages 13ys and 6 yrs). Due to travel deal we booked hotel near Zurich Airport.

Here is our plan

Day1 Arriving Zurich Airport and leaving for Paris on earliest possible train.

Day 2 and Day 3 : Touring Paris City.

Day 4 Paris to Zurich Airport hotel. Touring with in Zurich City.

Day 5 Zurich Airport hotel to Mt. Titlis and touring Lucerne and back to Zurich Airport hotel.

Day 6 Zurich Airport hotel to Interlaken and back to Zurich Airport hotel.

Day 7 Zurich Airport hotel to Jungfrau and back to Zurich Airport hotel.

Day 8 Early morning flight from Zurich airport.

I am confused which pass to take for cheapest and hassle free travel.

Do I take France-Switzerland pass for 7 days. Does it cover travel with in Paris city ? OR

Take Swiss Pass, Paris Pass and point to point tickets from Zurich to Paris and back.

Please advise if any other option is there.

Thanks
    Meenu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 June 2010 at 14:10:34 #831327

Hi Meenu. You can look up the train fares through the timetable, and prices of mountain transportation can be found on the websites of Titlis and Jungfrau. Next, you can see which sections are free or discounted on the maps we link to on the pages of the Swiss Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card, or any other pass. This allows you to calculate which pass is most economical. I expect an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass for 4 people would be the best option, which includes free traveling for the kids. Zurich Airport – Paris would be free until Basel, and you would need a point-to-point ticket from Basel to Paris.

A Eurail France-Switzerland Pass is an option as well, but please note that the conditions are very different from a Swiss Pass: it’s only available for first class, children do not travel for free and urban transportation is not included (except for the underground line B from Charles-de-Gaulle airport and Paris Gare-du-Nord railway in Paris).

I hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2010 at 15:27:23 #831328

Arno,

Thanks for your reply. One additional question instead of 8 day Swiss saver can I take 5 day Swiss Flexi Saver Pass since I will be in Paris for 2 days. I can use one day out of 5 on Day 1 and then use 4 days on Day 4,5,6 and 7.

Also do I need any reservation if I have Swiss Saver pass ?

Meenu

Arno
    15482 posts
    3 June 2010 at 1:48:13 #831329

Yes, a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass is an option as well. You can indeed use it on day 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7.

Now that you mention that, there’s also the option of a 4-day Swiss Saver Pass for day 4, 5, 6 and 7. Then you would need a full Zurich Airport – Paris point to point ticket, so it depends on the price of that ticket whether this option is more economical.

Seat reservations are only necessary for international trains (to Paris) and some scenic trains. Seat reservations are not included in any of the rail passes.

• The thread ‘Paris – Zurich Vacation confused about passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.