Pass for 4 days Geneva-Lucerne-Interlaken-Berne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2016 at 13:16:56 #809225

Hi,

My friend and I (both students) are planning to travel to Geneva-Lucerne-Interlaken-Berne in 4 days, from the 19th to the 22nd of July. We were wondering which rail pass would be the most value for money for our trip, with a tentative itinerary as follows:

Day 1 – Geneva

Day 2 – Travel to Lucerne, visit Mt Titlis (probably an entire day there, including taking the cable car up to the peak)

Day 3 – Travel to Interlaken to do some sightseeing and if time permits, head back to Lucerne and visit Mt Pilatus (including taking the cable car up to the peak)

Day 4 – Travel to Berne (from Lucerne or Interlaken?) and sightsee before taking our flight from EuroAirport Basel

We have checked out Swiss Travel Pass (3 consecutive days-we believe that we would not be travelling much in Geneva) and Tell-pass Summer (since it would mean that the cable car up to the peaks would be free), , and also Swiss Half fare card, but have difficulty in deciding which would be the most value for money. (i have tried to use MySwissAlps Rail Pass Excel, but it is beyond me)

Hope that we could seek some advice here in the forums instead!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2016 at 14:19:26 #852158

Welcome kondorein!

You’ve narrowed it down to 3 passes that make sense. Note that the Tell-Pass only covers the ride to Interlaken, but not much else in that area. There’s not much to see or do in Interlaken itself. It’s the Jungfrau region that’s compelling, but that’s not included in the Tell-Pass. If you opt for this pass I would recommend to skip Interlaken. Just travel as far as Brienz and take the Brienzer Rothorn railway if the weather’s good and you’d like to have a view of the Bernese Alps. That ride is included.

The 3-day Swiss Travel Pass seems to make most sense. It also covers the ride from Geneva to Lucerne, and Bern is also included. You’ll get the Youth discount on this pass if you’re 25 or below.

Only the math can reveal whether a Swiss Half Fare Card would be cheaper. You’ve already seen the page explaining the process.

The above links get you to all the pass details (what’s included, how it works, where to buy, etc.)

• The thread ‘Pass for 4 days Geneva-Lucerne-Interlaken-Berne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.