Pass, or combination?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2010 at 5:08:23 #803815

Hi, what would be the best option for us to travel through Switzerland? We are a company of five. A Swiss Pass would be great, I guess, but how many Passes do we have to buy then? Or would another Pass come in more handy? We will use many cog wheel trains and gondolas to get up (so that we can jump). Is there a combination of Passes?

Thank you again,

The Sportscrew!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2010 at 11:32:20 #831242

Hi Sportscrew, if I’m correct you’re going to stay in the Bernese Oberland. But that still leaves open lots of options. Can you give some more details on what your exact travel plans are? E.g. how long will you be staying there, is the Bernese Oberland your only stop in Switzerland or will there be another region as well, do you plan to travel all days or only sometimes during your stay, will you be doing more cable cars than regular trains, and so on. I know it’s a lot of questions and maybe you guys haven’t figured it out yet exactly. But if you can be a bit more detailed in your description I hope to be able go give you some advice!

Just let me know! Bye, Jules

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2010 at 6:45:01 #831243

Hi Jules, although not quite certain, the plan is that we will be staying in the Bernese Oberland at the end of the summer, let’s say end of August/beginning of September. We would like to jump near Interlaken, we think we might go rafting there as well, and I know that canoyning is possible there too. Meiringen, that’s also Bernese Oberland, right? We have seen possibilities there too. And we saw and read more, but it will all be in the Jungfrau Region. (Mainly because my parents know it well there, they hiked there a couple of times so all inside information we have is coming from them). So yes, the Bernese Oberland will be our centre. But weather circumstances may disturb our plans, and then it would be nice to travel to other parts of the country, by train. And that is as exact as I can be for the moment. Is this enough to give us some advice?

Thank you,

The Sportscrew!

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 May 2010 at 5:11:06 #831244

Hi Sportscrew. If you travel within the Bernese Oberland mainly, you could take a look at the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. There are some disadvantages to this, though. In a previous message you stated you’ll be in Switzerland for at least at month. The maximum validity of this Regional-Pass is 15 days, so you might need two of them. Moreover, it doesn’t cover trips to other parts of Switzerland and you stated that it would be nice to be able to travel elsewhere if the weather is bad. I’m not sure from where and how you will enter and leave Switzerland, but at least a part of your Swiss inbound and outbound trips wouldn’t be covered by this Regional-Pass either.

You may be better off with a pass that’s valid for the entire country. If you’ll be making short journeys mostly, a Swiss Half Fare Card can be a good option. For the combination of many short trips and a few longer ones, you should take a look at the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. If you could work out your travel plans a bit more, it would be possible to make exact calculations and find out which pass is the most economical option for you. Instructions on these calculations can be found in our Swiss rail FAQ.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2010 at 4:31:30 #831245

Okay Annika, thank you. We will have to study on all of this ;-). You gave us lots to consider. And yes, if further assistance is needed, we know where to find you.

Thanks!!!

The Sportscrew!

• The thread ‘Pass, or combination?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.