Pass or no pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2012 at 9:18:38 #805175

Please help, I need to figure out which pass to buy, if any, for the upcoming trip in June. It’s for 2 people.

Day 1.Zurich Airport – Interlaken
    Day 2.Interlaken – Grindelwald (return)
    Day 3.Interlaken – Jungfrau (return trip; this is the most expensive part and exactly why I can’t figure out whether to buy a pass or not)
    Day 4.See Interlaken and the lakes on cable cars, maybe a boat cruise etc.
    Day 5. Interlaken – Zurich (see Zurich on public transportation)

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    19 April 2012 at 16:05:30 #835819

Hello Sasha, and welcome to the forum! Yes, you should definitely consider a rail pass as that will be cheaper than buying regular tickets. I think the Swiss Half Fare Card would be best in your case, allowing a 50% discount on nearly all trips, including the Jungfraujoch, boat trips near Interlaken, urban transportation in Zurich, and so on. You can read all about it at the Swiss Half Fare Card page. I hope this helps you decide!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2012 at 2:35:38 #835820

I have also been trying to calculate the best option for 2 adults, 1 senior and 2 children (6 and 9). We are flying into Zurich on on the 5th of July 2012, day 1, overnight. Then we head to Engleberg for 3 nights. Then head to Paris by train from Engelberg on the last day, day 5.

Whilst in Engelberg we plan to go up Mt Titlis at least twice, and fit in some other hiking as well. Just when I think I have worked out the feesabilty of pass/no pass I get stumped and scratch my head. I think secretly I really want a Swiss pass. From your advice to Sasha, above, I think the Swiss Half Fare card is our best option.

Question 1. if we buy the Swiss half fare card in Zurich, and book our trains at the same time, are we likely to get seats/times that we want. If we book Engelberg to Paris via Lucern and Basel, when we get there are we likely to get the train times we want or should we book now. I have found the http://www.sbb.ch site very helpful with train times and prices etc.

Question 2. What clothes should we take for a summer trip up mt titlis and a play in the glacier park? Coming from Australia (yes I know we have snow somewhere) we have not been to the snow. I am not sure if the kids especially will need snow pants or even boots, because it will obviously be warmer than winter. Hope this is not a silly question.

Thanks from Kelly.

Annika
    7121 posts
    29 April 2012 at 9:41:24 #835821

Hello Kelly, and welcome to the forum. The Swiss Half Fare Card could indeed be the most economical option. However, if you prefer unlimited traveling and like to avoid the hassle of buying discounted tickets for each trip, a Swiss Pass would be better. These calculation guidelines could help you out a bit, but if you have already made proper calculations they may not add new information. Do note that the SBB websites shows half fare prices by default. If you want to see regular prices for a sound comparison, make sure to un-tick the half-fare box.

As for seat reservations: most trains don’t need any. You do need to book your trip to Paris though. Fares may be lower if you book well in advance, instead of after arrival in Zurich. Seats may still be available by then, but I’m not sure; the SBB could advise on this as well.

Even in summer, temperatures up at mountain tops such as the Titlis can be around or below zero degrees (Celsius). So make sure you all have proper, warm hiking shoes, warm jackets and maybe even shawls and gloves. Whether you actually need them, really depends on the actual temperature and weather circumstances. Checking weather forecasts shortly before getting up is always a wise thing to do.

• The thread ‘Pass or no pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.