Pass to buy for 5 days in Zuric, Lucrn & Intrlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2015 at 1:22:13 #806956

Hi all,

I am traveling with my wife and 10 month old to Switzerland from April 10th to April 15th. Since the trip spans 6 days (5 days of traveling), I am looking for some help regarding which pass works out best. Appreciate any help on this. Following is my itinerary:

April 10th: Kloten (close to airport, ZRH) to Rhine falls (Schloss Laufen). Then from Rhine falls (Schlossi Worth) to old town zurich. Walk around old town, do some sight seeing, visit some churches and then come back to Kloten.

April 11th: Travel from Kloten to Lucerne. From there go to Pilatus and spend most of the day there. On the way back in Lucerne, spend some time in old town lucerne in the evening, seeing lion monument etc.

April 12th: From Lucerne go to Titlis. Spend few hours there and then in evening spend time at Lucerne lake, maybe do a boat cruise if possible. Travel late evening from Lucerne to Interlaken OST.

April 13th: From interlaken, go to Jungfrau and spend the whole day there. Come back to hotel in Interlaken.

April 14th: From Interlaken, go to Lake Brienz, one way boat and the other way train. Same day by night I need to reach back Kloten, Zurich. So the rest of day I can either spend some time at some other attraction close to Interlaken or maybe on the way back stop in Bern and spend some time there (any suggestions?). By end of day, reach back Kloten, Zurich.

April 15th: In the morning, go to airport using hotel shuttle, so I don’t expect any need of a pass on this day.

I looked at flex pass with an option for a half fare card at 50% for covering all the 5 days above, then I can use the half fare on the day when I visit Jungfrau. But I am not sure if I even need the half fare card, do I need to make use of one of the valid days of flex pass for getting discount on Jungfrau?

Looking for some suggestions and help on what pass to buy.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 March 2015 at 11:34:30 #841940

Hi gauravgup1,

You do need to use a travel day of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex in order to get a discount on tickets to the Jungfraujoch or anywhere else. So you do need to add the Swiss Half Fare Card (the Combi variant of the pass) to get discounts on the days in between free travel days. All details about the pass can be found here. Also this page may help you out making a choice.

If you have not booked your hotel in Kloten yet, here’s a list of hotels with a free shuttle service to the airport included.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2015 at 22:44:05 #841941

Thanks Annika. I went through the page to make a choice, following are the details:

Travel plus mountains etc for one person (assuming full price): CHF520 (274 for trains/buses + Titlis + Pilatus + Jungfrau)

With Swiss pass: CHF395 plus I need something to account for 5th day

With flex pass: CHF430 plus something for 5th day

With half fare card: CHF380 for all days

Just for 4 days, the swiss pass and half fare card are more or less the same price, so swiss pass seems better given that I might have missed some trains/busses in my calculation. But the 5th day part seems like could be the deal-breaker and makes me more inclined towards the half fare card.

Do you have any suggestions for just a day pass (like the zone passes) for either the first or last day of my trip (based on the itinerary above), I can try to take that into my calculation too? I tried to make sense of some of the zone passes but I couldn’t get too far to see whether areas I’ll be visiting fall into a zone or not.

Also any suggestions for places to see around Interlaken (Piz Gloria and Trummelbach falls are out for us) or Bern?

Thanks again.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 March 2015 at 6:23:34 #841942

Hi gauravgup1,

If you prefer to have a Swiss Travel Pass (details, prices and promo’s, please see here) for April 11 – 14, you can buy a day card in Zurich for the town and surrounding area. A ZVV day card costs CHF 33.60 and covers traveling as far as Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall. Links to more information are on the Zurich page.

Please see the Bern page and Interlaken page for suggestions on what to do there.

• The thread ‘Pass to buy for 5 days in Zuric, Lucrn & Intrlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.