Pass Use during Peak travel time.

Pass Use during Peak travel time.

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Bethpaige
Bethpaige
1 post
Nov 23, 2014 - 4:46 AM

Hello,

A friend and I are going to be in Switzerland from the 12th to the 20th of Dec but we are trying to travel for a brief holiday via train from Zurich to Zermatt on the 17th of Dec, from Zermatt to Lucerne on the 18th and Lucerne to Zurich on the 19th.

I see that the Swiss Pass is the best deal but am concerned about seat availability or not being able to get on the train we want due to overbooking as I do understand that this is the peak season. Would we be guaranteed a place on a train regardless with the pass? Or should we instead book point to point in order to assure us each a seat on the train? As we are limited in the days that we can travel for fun (i.e. 17-19) and we would need to be assured of getting on the train in the AM on the 17th, etc.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated!

Thanks

Beth

Arno
Arno
7294 posts
expert &
Nov 24, 2014 - 6:36 AM

Hi Beth,

There's no need to worry about availability. The train system in Switzerland works like city transport (subways, etc.): seats do not get booked in advance. Anyone with a pass or a ticket can board. A few exceptions apply; you can read about it here: myswissalps.com/train/reservations.

Trains can be busy in December, but the real tourist peak season will start on the 20th, when Swiss school holidays start, and holidays in many other countries as well.

Enjoy your stay!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016