Passport number for Swiss Travel e-pass purchase

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2016 at 21:01:44 #808753

Hi Arno and Annika,

I just realized that the online purchase of Swiss Travel e-pass requires my passport number. My passport is expiring and I need to get a new one before my travel in June. I wonder if they will allow me to change my passport number after the purchase.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 March 2016 at 2:13:44 #850012

<<“I wonder if they will allow me to change my passport number after the purchase.”>>

In the USA, you are allowed to keep your old passport….at leasts, I could in the past.

If that is the case, carry both.

?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 March 2016 at 6:04:33 #850013

Hi snowflakes,

Thanks for joining the discussions! The passport number will be printed on the pass and you can’t change it yourself. I’m not sure if the company you’d buy from could provide you with a new pass; you’d have to ask them. In your case (Canada) it’s probably http://www.raileurope.ca/rail -tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html or http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. However, I would recommend to get your new passport first and buy your pass later.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2016 at 9:19:56 #850014

Thanks Arno. Thanks Slowpoke.

I managed to talk to an agent in Rail Europe (waited for one hour on the phone). He said the pass must have legal passport number. Therefore I couldn’t use an expiring passport to get the discount swiss travel pass today.

Starting to plan our first trip to Switzerland, I am so thankful for this wonderful website, full of practical information. Thank you very much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2016 at 6:52:27 #850015

First, it dependend the renovation proceess for passport in USA. In Spain the renovation of IDs and passport won’t change the number.

Second, I think that in the process buy only you write the passport number and you don’t need to attach any passport photo.

So other member should know better the Rail Europe buy process but I think that you can.

Andrés

• The thread ‘Passport number for Swiss Travel e-pass purchase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.