Paying for train tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2011 at 7:38:54 #804397

My husband and I are traveling to Switzerland this summer to visit friends there. Can we buy our train tickets in Zurich bahnhof with our Visa card (American)? Can we also use the Visa to pay for further train journeys throughout Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 June 2011 at 9:46:46 #833163

Hello j.napoli,

Welcome to our website! Yes, you can buy tickets at the Zurich main station or airport station. I don’t expect VISA to be any problem. If you travel more than just a few short trips or expect to use cable cars, I would advice you to look into the passes to save money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2011 at 10:09:45 #833164

Thank you for your speedy reply. Even if we buy the Swiss Card, we still need to pay half fares at smaller train stations throughout Switzerland (Fribourg, Thun, Lauterbrunnen, etc). Can we use our Visa card to pay these half fares?

Also, how much is the fare on the lift to Murren from Lauterbrunnen? How about Schinege Platte–is that a private train? If so, how much does it cost?

Thanks so much for your help.
    joanne

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 June 2011 at 10:26:55 #833165

Hi Joanne,

Most stations either have a service desk or a ticketing machine that accepts credit cards. However, it differs per station and region. It’s convenient to have some Swiss francs as well. If you travel a lot, there are passes that allow free traveling, so that you don’t have to buy tickets.

The specific prices you asked about are listed at the Jungfrau website. This FAQ explains about finding prices in general.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2011 at 18:42:24 #833166

We need to buy a Swiss Card at the Zurich airport when we arrive via Swiss Air on July 14 at 10 am. Is the train station office open at that time to buy the card? If so, where do we find the office?

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 June 2011 at 1:59:47 #833167

Hi Joanne,

That should be no problem at that time. The train station is located at the airport. You just need to follow the signs to walk over there. Please note that it is $30 more expensive if you wait with your purchase until you have arrived, as you can see at the Swiss Card page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2011 at 5:33:14 #833168

Hi Arno,
    When I logged onto the Swiss Card page you gave me, it was actually much cheaper to buy the card at the airport than online. I believe it was $218. instead of $225 online plus $18. mailing. Is that correct?
    Joanne

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2011 at 6:59:08 #833169

Hi Joanne,

Did you fill out that you will be traveling with two adults? If you do, it should display the correct price: shipping will be free in that case, so the online purchase will be cheaper.

• The thread ‘Paying for train tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.