Picking the right pass for 18 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2016 at 19:49:13 #808535

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have scoured the internet and can’t seem to find this answer. My daughter and I are taking an 18 day trip to Switzerland in April. Too many days for a 15 day pass, but maybe too many days for a 15 day flex pass. We are unsure what counts as a day of travel. Does any mode of transportation, such as bus, metro, etc., count against those 15 days or only days where an actual city to city train is taken? If so, what would be the best option for us? While we are going to make a few cities “home-base”, we will be taking day trips from each one. Especially in the Interlake area. Any helpful guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, catleal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    5 March 2016 at 8:38:56 #849036

Thanks for joining us, catleal!

As for a Swiss Travel Pass Flex: you can’t really say that any day “counts” as a free travel day. It’s entirely up to you to decide whether or not you use a free travel day for the plans you have in mind. You can do so by writing down the date on your pass before boarding the first bus/boat/train that morning. So you’re free to choose the 15 days that you think are most needed for your journeys. Please find explanation in the “How to use section” of the page I linked to .

A 15 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex could be a good option for your plans. It’s CHF 44 more expensive than the regular 15 day Swiss Travel Pass with continuous days. So which option is more economical depends on your exact itinerary. If there are a few days in between without traveling, or with short local trips only, the Swiss Travel Pass Flex would be fine. If the first and/or last days of your stay only involve short local trip (e.g. if you stay in a city that has its own local travel pass), the regular 15 day Swiss Travel Pass might be easier.

If you want to make sure, you’d best make calculations based on a detailed travel plan as explained at our "How to choose" page.

SR1000
    Participant
    49 posts
    7 March 2016 at 7:08:39 #849037

You may want to calculate the 8-day Swiss Flex Combi pass (you get the half-fare card with the flex pass at 50% discount). We too have an 18-day itinerary and this option is turning out to be best. See my thread for more details: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/rail-passes-for-18-day-in-switzerland

• The thread ‘Picking the right pass for 18 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.