Planes, trains and bikes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2011 at 6:57:14 #804085

We’re familiar with the planes/bike transport but need some insight into trains/bikes. We will be staying at an apartment in Montreaux and would like to occasionally take a train with bikes to a remote location and pedal back. With initial view of the train system I was looking at a 15 pass. Will I need to pay more to get my bikes on the train and will I need to make reservations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 January 2011 at 9:18:51 #832084

Hello clay-carlson,

I most trains, you can take along your bike free of charge and without reservations. There are exceptions for particular (busy or small) trains and groups who would like to bring bikes. The timetable shows whether a train cannot carry bikes. A lot of information can be found at the website of the largest rail company in Switzerland: SBB. Similar rules apply to other Swiss rail companies, but you may want to check in advance for (private) mountain railways.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your biking trips!

• The thread ‘Planes, trains and bikes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.