Planning first photography trip in Switzerland

• mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    23 October 2021 at 18:04:59 #826205

Hi ..

I’m planning my first trip to Switzerland, im a photographer and interested in landscape photography, since there are many regions and areas for photography, it would be great if someone can provide me with a beginner step by step direction on where to start my trip and how to get to different photography locations, i would like to know also if there are guides that are interested to take me to different locations including transport .

Thanks …

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    23 October 2021 at 19:21:34 #937034

Hi mdq8t,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Switzerland offers plenty of unique photography opportunities especially along the themes of landscapes and nature. I guess the first thing to do is decide which region you want to travel to, or which season, so you can start planning an itinerary and make a list of places, things or activities you’d like to capture.

You could also join a private or guided tour. Check out the Swiss Photo Club website — you might be interested in one of their photography tours.

I hope this gets you started. Feel free to post again if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    24 October 2021 at 13:08:48 #937035

Hi mdq8t

Possibly the most popular feature of Switzerland for photographers is the Alps. In the Jungfrau area I would consider photographing Jungfrau, Monch, Eiger, Lauterbrunnen valley, and Grindelwald valley. View points that are easily accessible by cable car or train where it would be easy to transport tripods,etc. are Mannlichen, First, Kleine Scheidegg, Lauterbrunnen, Schynige Platte, Jungfraujoch, and Schilthorn.

Another popular destination for photography is Zermatt where you can photograph the Matterhorn and Gornergrat. To me the best views of the Matterhorn are from Riffelalp and Riffelsee.

Mark

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 October 2021 at 14:21:53 #937036

Hi mdq8t,

Switzerland is the photographers’ heaven. There’s an opportunity almost around every corner. There are quite some guided tours too. For example, see https://www.viator.com/searchResults/all?text=photography&destId=69.

Get up early for a clear sky and take into account that the sun may hide sooner than you think if you’re in a deep valley.

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    24 October 2021 at 15:15:29 #937037

Thanks

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    24 October 2021 at 15:17:58 #937038

When would be the best season for photography, and would i have the chance to find transport that takes me to these locations ?

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    24 October 2021 at 15:18:38 #937039

Thanks

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    24 October 2021 at 16:20:27 #937040

It’s true that some cable cars and trains are seasonal. Most everything is open June through September but the specific train or cable car schedules are available on this website or the Swiss train website.

May and June are attractive due to being the height of wildflower season. Also plenty of snow.

August is likely the most crowded due to Europeans taking vacations that month.

September is less crowded and probably the driest Month. The weather can make or break a photography vacation.

The winter is an option too but some of the view points will be closed (as Schynige Platte) and the temperature can obviously be quite cold.

Be very careful during the shoulder months as some hotels and cable cars are closed for maintenance.

Mark

Anna
    6274 posts
    25 October 2021 at 9:17:02 #937041

Hi mdq8t,

All the locations mentioned in Mark’s post are accessible by a combination of public transport and mountain railways or cable cars. Some are open all year. Check the SBB timetable before your trip. Have a look here on tips on how to travel to all these locations using Swiss public transport: http://www.myswissalps.com/travel/inswitzerland

For more information about Swiss weather and the best time to visit, have a look at these links below:

Best time to visit

Swiss weather – wet and driest months

Regards,

Anna

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 October 2021 at 9:33:34 #937042

Thanks

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 October 2021 at 9:34:18 #937043

Thank you

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 October 2021 at 10:00:16 #937044

Hi …

I’m not really good with making transport and hotel reservations, is it possible to arrange an Itinerary for my photography trip and i will be happy to pay for a detailed planned itinerary from someone who knows everything about Switzerland .

Thanks

Anna
    6274 posts
    25 October 2021 at 10:46:27 #937045

Hi again mdq8t,

If you need an expert to help you customise your itinerary, you can find more information and a request form here: http://www.myswissalps.com/customholidays

Regards,

Anna

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 October 2021 at 10:54:22 #937046

Thank you

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    25 October 2021 at 13:53:46 #937047

Hello mdq8t,

I only just got on that thread, and can confirm that all the advice already given above are sensible and relevant. Note, however, that rail transport operates throughout the year.

On seasons, the current one (autumn/fall) is also a beautiful one, at least in some locations such as those with turning leaves, such as most valleys of canton Valais (larches) or the vinyards on lake Geneva (and other places, of course).

You are a landscape photographer, so we may exclude traditional festivals such as the Basle Carnival, animals (ducks, bouquetins or marmots) and probably cities and buildings. Before I try to help you more, could you tell us if you are a professional photographer (one who makes a living from selling his photos), and if you are interested in the famous spots (already hinted to in the previous posts, with the risk of repeating the work of thousands of photographers), or if you are looking for the non-conventional shot (for which there are many opportunities outside the Alps, such as in the Jura range, the Emmental, the Ticino lakes etc.)?

Snowman

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 October 2021 at 15:02:04 #937048

Hi ..

I’m actually looking for Mountain and Lake shots to be precise, mostly landscape views, but i would like also to take shots of Alps .

So i guess i would fit in the non-conventional category .

The thing is that I’m looking for a detailed plan like where to start and where to finish, city by city, i have around 10 days in my trip and I’m thinking of March April or May 2022 .

Thanks …..

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 October 2021 at 17:10:50 #937049

Hi mdq8t

I plan to suggest you a broad plan, hopefully tomorrow. If you really want a “detailed” plan, you may check out the custom holidays proposed by this site (see Anna’s post above), or the guided tours mentioned by Arno.

In the meantime, two hints.

AAA – Transport

Switzerland has really a top class public transport system : train links mostly every daytime hour for every destination (sometimes even every half hour), a dense rail network, and where there is no railway, such as in many mountain areas, then there are public busses (mainly the yellow postal coaches), with also frequent rides during daytime hours. MySwissAlps has a section on rail transport where you can find out about the Swiss Travel Pass and the timetables/schedules. Alternatively, you can check out the website of SBB (the Swiss Federal Railways). To find a connection, simply enter the “From” and “To” locations, the date and time of departure. You will soon get used to it, it is very handy. For the stations of departure or arrival, once you key the first letters (say, Zer for Zermatt), suggestions will appear. Note that the name of the town alone is always the main station in that town (e.g. ¨Zermatt¨), while other wording (e.g. ¨Zermatt Schwarzsee¨) indicate secondary station, bus stops etc. With a little practice, you will easily be able to plan your trip.

BBB – Maps

Check out the Switzerland Mobility map. Click on “Map” and get the zoomable map of Switzerland. On the upper left corner, you will find a search box where you may enter the name of a place. Try “Dent de Vaulion” (it will be one of my proposals), and you will find where it is. Zoom out for “where in Switzerland is that?¨, and zoom in for ¨How do I get there?¨

The peaks in the Jura range can be reached without special mountaineering skills (when there is no snow). While the Swiss public transport system is fantastic, it does not reach many peaks (there are touristic exceptions, of course). So to reach the peak you need to hike a bit, but it will be rewarding.

Please clarify if by ¨landscape¨ you mean also cities (some Swiss cities are gems for a photographer), and if your age and health enable you to hike some distance.

More in a while, but not today I’m afraid.

Snowman

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    27 October 2021 at 14:51:18 #937050

Thank you for the details,

I’m mostly interested in Mountain and Lakes, and of course taking city shots is always interesting, i don’t mind some hiking as long as its not too difficult .

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    28 October 2021 at 17:56:42 #937051

My broad suggestion would be to make a series of the Three Giants of the Bernese Alps (Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau), from remote (Jura peaks), mid-distance (Emmental Valley), and close (Kleine Scheidegg area). Add to that a special lake on the southern side of the Alps.

If you can come in May rather than March, you would have a better access to the places I suggest. I am a photographer who likes to explore my shooting area, make sketch images, and come again, so I would suggest you spend two days at each of the first three places I am suggesting. If you prefer to see more places, you can add destinations in between.

I base my suggestions on an arrival in Geneva but you can adjust if you arrive in Zurich or elsewhere. You should be able to find the places I hint to in italics using the hints of my previous post.

1. The Three Giants from far away. Go to Dent de Vaulion (closest SBB station: Le Pont) and hike to Dent de Vaulion (easy, well marked trails, about one hour and a half). You can reduce the hiking time to 20 minutes if you drive or get driven to Chalet de la Dent de Vaulion. From the peak, you can see three lakes (Joux, Neuchâtel, and Léman = Lake Geneva), and the Three Giants in the east. Requires a clear day. Alternatively, you could go to Creux du Van (closest station Noiraigue). Creux du Van is kind of the Swiss Grand Canyon. You will be likely to see bouqutins. Turn around the cliff southwards until Roche Devant, from where you can see Lake Neuchâtel, and the Three Giants south-east. Needs also a clear day. Try the evening blue hour.

2. From Mid-distance. Go to Sumiswald (train station) in the Emmental, east of Bern, and be inspired by the panorama made by our late Forum member Slowpoke. If you are interested I can give you the pretty accurate point of view of that shot.

3. Close by. Go to Wengen and take the Männlichen cable car, from where you can see the Three Giants. And/or go to Jungfraujoch (train) from where you can shoot them one by one. And/or go to Eigergletscher and hike down to Alpiglen (not in March) and take closeups of the Eiger North Face. In Alpiglen you can take the train to Grindelwald.

4. Lago Tremorgio. If you are interested in mountain lake, this is one a bit off the beaten track, yet easily reachable (postal coach to Rodi, Posta, then to cable car to Lago Tremorgio. It is a small mountain lake, very scenic in my opinion.

I am at a cabin in a remote place until the end of the week. If this itinerary interests you I can post sample photos of the areas mentioned next week. In the meantime Google should give you an idea of what I mean.

Snowman

mdq8t
    Participant
    16 posts
    29 October 2021 at 10:15:42 #937052

Thank you so much for the details, i will consider taking the trip on May, so all the routes are open, and would really appreciate it if you can post photos of the places mentioned .

Thanks ….

Brown1950
    Participant
    13 posts
    29 October 2021 at 20:38:46 #937053

Tough question to answer. I am going back ( 3rd time) to ride the trains, visit the Alps and photograpgh all along the way. First Switzerland while not geographically big takes time to navigate if you are on a vacation. So the first question you should answer is how much time do plan to spend in SZ. Then what type of photography do you want to capture, street, landscape, portrait? My guess is Landscape. If that is true I would head straight to the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Both sides offer spectacular views. While most people stay on the east side i.e. Grindelwald, or Wengen the mountain perch on the west side in Murren is pretty awesome. Back to the east side, photographing on the Mannlichen hike to Klein Scheidegg is a must, east hike with head on views the the Eigeralp Mountain Range. In the Grindelwald Area the Cable lift up to First offers some excellent hiking with views down the Eigeralp Monch and Jungfrau. The west side above Murren has a few very good and very scenic hikes. The view from Schilthorn and Birg …pretty amazing. I will stay in Murren again. There are a few Alphuts and abundant floral too. During the summer Herders are busy making cheese the authentic way, in wood burning copper vats, cheesecloth straining and raw milk wheels. . There is also a cool Alp Cheese destination near Bussalp called Eigeralp. You can take a bus from Grindelwald up to Bussalp and either hike or have them pick you up $. It does not get any more authentic. You can stay overnight sleeping in the barn.

I would also suggest renting a 45 minute excursion in a the Swiss Helicopter with the door open. . Make sure to walk Lauterbrunnen, see the Falls and perhaps go up to Jungfraujoch too.

Luzern is beautiful so for street photography with scenic streets and post card vistas it is hard to beat. It also is home to the Transportation Museum, if you like trains it is a great place to take your camera.

For me I prefer the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Upper Engadine areas over Zermatt.

There are destinations all over Switzerland I could suggest but without knowing your interests it is hard to give you sound advice, but wish you all the best and enjoy your vacation.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Planning first photography trip in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.