Planning one day in Montreux – Itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2012 at 1:41:43 #805338

Hello,
    I will be arriving in Montreux from Zermatt by train in the morning and will be staying that night in Montreux.

Planning to do the following in one day:
    – Chillon castle (One way by boat and another walk by walk)
    – Rochers de Naye
    – Notre Dame cathedral in Laussane
    – Vevey – Chardonne – Mt-Pèlerin
    (or)
    Territet – Glion
    (or)
    (Montreux–) Les Avants – Sonloup

Questions:
    1. Is this too much for a day?

2. When is the good time in a day to go to Chillon castle and Rochers de Naye?

3. Among Vevey – Chardonne – Mt-Pèlerin, Territet – Glion, and (Montreux–) Les Avants – Sonloup, which one should I choose?
    I’m looking for best view and nature to see?

4. We’ll be travelling to Paris from Montreux the following day and planning to go to Notre Dame church there.
    Given that, should I go to Notre Dame in Lausanne? Would I have enough time given the above ones to cover.

5. How is the walk from Lausanne train station to Notre Dame? Would that give enough feel of Laussane?

6. Is there anything else I can see in the night?
    Is it a good idea to wander the streets to Lausanne/Montreux/Vevey at night say until 9:00pm before returning to hotel in Montreux.

BTW, I have a very early train to catch the next day to Paris.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 June 2012 at 2:19:13 #836323

Hi anonymous-Europe! That’s quite a lot for 1 day. You should use the timetable to check traveling times and find out whether it’s possible. Also, online maps such as maps.google.ch and maps.search.ch offer great info on (pedestrian) routes, even within cities.

As for the order of your plans: Rochers-de-Naye is a viewing point, so that deserves a visit when weather is best. In many cases, but certainly not always, this is (early) in the morning. You can best check weather forecasts shortly in advance and then make your a final planning.

You should pick the attraction (Mt Pèlerin, Glion or Sonloup) that requires the least traveling time I guess, as you already have a full schedule. The timetable and the Lake Geneva tourism website provide good information to make a sound comparison. You may like the downloadable brochure ‘Dream lines’ at Lake Geneva Tourism too.

• The thread ‘Planning one day in Montreux – Itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.