Planning surprise trip for engagement

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2012 at 10:30:06 #805498

So having been called predictable by my significant other for some time, I’m putting together a surprise engagement trip to Switzerland for this December, and still have a lot of unanswered q’s I’m trying to solve!

She thinks we’re going to Spain… we are actually going to try to get to Jungfrau. Having seen the site on the Today Show (and proclaiming it “the most beautiful place she’s ever seen”), I have gone ahead and booked the two of us to arrive in Zurich the evening of December 27th.

On the 28th, I’m familiar with the steps to get from Zurich to Interlaken using a Swiss Pass, but my questions are…
    * Will it even be possible to get up to the top of Europe on either 12/28 or 12/29?
    * We fly from Zurich to London on 12/30 at around noon… will we be able to depart Interlaken the morning of 12/30, or should we head to Zurich the evening of 12/29?

And that’s just the start. 🙂

Can anyone help with any guidance, suggestions, etc.? It’s hopefully going to be an exciting, romantic surprise, and one worth remembering.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

lbiggs020260
    Participant
    26 posts
    2 August 2012 at 3:02:05 #836822

Hi
    Good move … I got engaged on the Shilthon nearly 30 years ago and my son got engaged at the Monchjoch Hut just along from the Jungfraujoch last year!
    Should be no problem getting up the Jungfrau on either of those dates – trains run all through the year.
    There is a web site which gives you train times all over Switzerland which should help with your planning. Assuming you are staying in Interlaken it will be an early train …30/12 is beyond the current timetable, but a train from interlaken Ost at 7.30 gets you into Zurich Airport at about 9.50

Have agreat trip

Laurence

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    2 August 2012 at 3:26:00 #836823

Wonderful surprise! Lucky gal.

Just a caution not to buy your tickets from Interlaken to Jungfrau in advance as the voyage is really weather dependent. If the weather is not good you will see nothing but the structures up top and the inside of the train. You can buy tickets the day you want to go up. (Hopefully, with two days in Interlaken you will get at least one clear day.) And do get an early start as clouds often come in during the afternoon.

If you have not yet made your hotel booking you should do so immediately. Your travel dates are one of the peak times of winter ski season.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 August 2012 at 5:06:55 #836824

Hi apcullers,

In case traveling from Interlaken to the airport in the morning leaves you with too little spare time: there are airport hotels as well. Some include a free bus transfer directly to the airport. Of course you can stay near the Zurich main station instead, as it offers an easy train connection to the airport. Hotel suggestions for Interlaken can be found here.

You’re familiar with the Swiss Pass, but please look into the Swiss Card as well. It seems perfect for your trip: it includes a free transfer to Interlaken and back, and a 50% discount on the Jungfrau trip (the Swiss Pass offers a 25% discount).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2012 at 15:13:13 #836825

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!

This is all great information. I’m booking the hotel stay(s) now, and will keep in mind to hold on an actual Jungfrau ticket until arrival. This definitely put my mind at ease on the unknowns, so thank you all very much!

• The thread ‘Planning surprise trip for engagement’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.