Planning trip to Switzerland in Dec

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2011 at 2:45:46 #804711

Hi All

I am looking at planning a trip to Switzerland in December this year. It will be my first time and I will be bringing my family (kids aged 10 and parents aged 60) along. However, I need some advice as I am unsure of the weather in Switzerland in December.

I am looking at doing a trip up to Jungfraujoch from Zurich by rail. I will be flying in to Paris and taking a rail from Paris to Zurich.

Will it be advisable to do a trip in December?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    19 September 2011 at 13:56:54 #834228

Hi sandwich, and welcome to the forum! It’s very hard to predict what the weather will be like. December is winter of course, but weather circumstances may range from sunny and clear to clouded and snowy. It would be best to keep your travel schedule flexible and only travel up to the Jungfraujoch if you know for sure that weather will be clear. You should check weather forecasts (for example at tv channel SF) the evening before or even the morning before your trip. You don’t have to reserve seats, so you can just buy tickets and board the train whenever you like.

If you plan to make some more trips, you could look into the Swiss rail passes. In most cases, they’re a lot cheaper than purchasing regular tickets. Which one is best, depends on your exact plans. This FAQ may help you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2011 at 12:03:03 #834229

Hi Annika

Thanks for your advice!

I have a worry – because of the large traveling group I’ll be in (approx 10 pax.), will it be easy to just buy tickets the day before the train?

I’ll look into the swiss rail passes. Thanks for your help.

Annika
    7103 posts
    21 September 2011 at 15:59:43 #834230

Hello sandwich. No, it won’t be a problem to buy tickets the before boarding. You can do so at a manned railway station desk or a ticketing machine.

If you decide on using the Swiss Pass, you don’t even have to buy tickets in many cases. Free traveling is allowed in regular trains, buses and boats, so you can just hop on and off without having to buy tickets first. (Discounted tickets still have to be bought for mountain railways, such as the Jungfraujoch train from Wengen/Grindelwald).

• The thread ‘Planning trip to Switzerland in Dec’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.