72625 posts
    7 May 2012 at 22:32:38 #805246

Hi all, please advice on my plan as below:

5 June Arrive Zurich at 9:00, will go to Zermatt by train on the same day
    6 June Stay at Zermatt
    7 June Stay at Zermatt
    8 June Go to Bern by train
    9 June Stay at Bern
    10 June Go to Grindelwald by driving (renting car)
    11 June visit jungfraujoch by cableways
    12 June stay at Grindelwald
    13 June visit Vevy (renting car)
    14 June visit Luasanne (renting car)
    15 June go to Zurich (renting car)
    16 June visit St gallen, stay at zurich (renting car)
    17 June back to Hong Kong

Any comments? Should I take a Half fare card or what?
    As a return ticket is included, can I use it for : 1. From Zurich to Zermatt, 2. From Zermatt to Bern?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    9 May 2012 at 8:27:50 #836040

Hello gregchan. Your itinerary could be a bit more effective this way: Zurich-Zermatt-Vevey-Lausanne-Bern-Grindelwald-Zurich. If you do want to rent a car, a Swiss Half Fare Card could be a good option. I’m not sure what you mean by ‘as a return ticket is included’; that’s not the case with a Swiss Half Fare Card. Please read all details at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

Are you sure you want to rent a car? Swiss public transportation is great and allows easy travels throughout the country. You can just sit back and enjoy the scenery. Renting a car can be quite expensive too. If you would decide to travel by train mainly (or only) I suggest you consider a Swiss (Saver) Flexi Pass.

Did you find the timetable, helping you plan your trips in detail?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2012 at 22:26:48 #836041

I agree with Annika – who needs a car in Switzerland? The train/bus/boat system is awesome, and you don’t have to struggle with finding and (importantly) paying for parking. I have spent 7 weeks in Switzerland at various times over the past 2 years and have relied on my SwissPass exclusively. I’ve visited 26 different towns/villages, either via boat, train or bus, and it’s been carefree and lovely. Of course, I pack extremely lightly (Rick Steves’ website had fabulous advice on packing light) so I don’t have to lug large luggage around when I do so. Download the SBB app to your smart phone and you’ll be able to find the fastest or most scenic route between any points you can imagine. And if you don’t speak German/French/Italian, driving can be a real challenge as the signs aren’t in any other languages, and the symbols aren’t universal (for example, the symbol for “not” in the US is not the one used for “not” in Switzerland, as in “not” a route for pedestrians… I wish you wonderful travels, regardless of how you choose to travel!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2012 at 22:38:37 #836042

Thanks for the useful information, I will think it twice now

• The thread ‘Please advice on my 12days honey trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.