please advice on train tickets

please advice on train tickets

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
chritwing
chritwing
5 posts
Jan 11, 2015 - 4:37 AM

Hi,

I am heading to Switzerland and Germany in late June 2015. I will arrive in Zurich Airport, then stay in Switzerland for 6 days then will move on to Germany. I would like to ask if I should get a Swiss pass or half fare pass or actually book tickets online earlier to get lower priced tickets. My plans are as follows:

For day 1 to day 4, I will live in winterthur.

For day 4 to day 6, I will live in interlaken.

Day 1: Airport --> Zurich City

Day 2: Bern

Day 3: Luzern

Day 4: Winterthur to interlaken

Day 5: Jungfrau

Day 6: Interlaken to Berlin in Germany

Please advice. And also, if I don't buy travel pass in both countries, how would you advice me to travel from interlaken to Berlin?

Thanks a lot!!!

Christine

Arno
Arno
7311 posts
expert &
Jan 12, 2015 - 6:29 AM

Hi Christine,

I would consider these two pass options:

• A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex with Swiss Half Fare Card Combi. It allows free traveling without tickets on day 2, 3, 4 and 6, and 50% off the ticket to Jungfraujoch on day 5. On day 1 you simply buy a regular single ticket.
  • Just a Swiss Half Fare Card to buy 50% discounted tickets on all days.

Please see the links for how the passes work, prices and more details, and see here for how to make sure which option is the cheapest.

In either case, a Swiss rail pass covers traveling as far as Basel Bad Bf. You need a point to point ticket for the leg from Basel to Berlin. You're from Hong Kong, so you can get the ticket here, and the pass from the same website. There are a few direct trains from Interlaken to Berlin, so you can stay seated in Basel.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016