please advice on train tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2015 at 4:37:07 #806799

Hi,

I am heading to Switzerland and Germany in late June 2015. I will arrive in Zurich Airport, then stay in Switzerland for 6 days then will move on to Germany. I would like to ask if I should get a Swiss pass or half fare pass or actually book tickets online earlier to get lower priced tickets. My plans are as follows:

For day 1 to day 4, I will live in winterthur.

For day 4 to day 6, I will live in interlaken.

Day 1: Airport –> Zurich City

Day 2: Bern

Day 3: Luzern

Day 4: Winterthur to interlaken

Day 5: Jungfrau

Day 6: Interlaken to Berlin in Germany

Please advice. And also, if I don’t buy travel pass in both countries, how would you advice me to travel from interlaken to Berlin?

Thanks a lot!!!

Christine

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 January 2015 at 6:29:37 #841519

Hi Christine,

I would consider these two pass options:

• A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex with Swiss Half Fare Card Combi. It allows free traveling without tickets on day 2, 3, 4 and 6, and 50% off the ticket to Jungfraujoch on day 5. On day 1 you simply buy a regular single ticket.
    • Just a Swiss Half Fare Card to buy 50% discounted tickets on all days.

Please see the links for how the passes work, prices and more details, and see here for how to make sure which option is the cheapest.

In either case, a Swiss rail pass covers traveling as far as Basel Bad Bf. You need a point to point ticket for the leg from Basel to Berlin. You’re from Hong Kong, so you can get the ticket here, and the pass from the same website. There are a few direct trains from Interlaken to Berlin, so you can stay seated in Basel.

• The thread ‘please advice on train tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.