please comment on itinerary! thanks

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2014 at 10:07:07 #806429

Hi, please help me to review my itinerary. Any suggestions is much welcomed.

I will be arriving in Zurich on 18july, plan is to tour around the city. The churches. Overnight in Zurich.

19july: morning: Rhine falls and afternoon: rapperswil. Night: will take the latest train to neuchatel. Overnight in neuchatel.

20-25july: tour around neuchatel, friend will be having conference in neuchatel, so no choice but to spend the week there. Places planning to visit: chaumont, saut du doubs, creux du van, old town and lake itself.

26july: from neuchatel travel to montreux via Lausanne, explore Lausanne old town then head to montreux to admire the beauty of castle chillon. Overnight at montreux

27july: from montreux, to interlaken with golden pass scenic rail. Explore interlaken.

28july: to lauterbrunnen then to schilthorn. Go back to interlaken and overnight there

29july: from interlaken to jungfrau, explore top of Europe. Go back to interlaken again and overnight there.

30jjuly: interlaken to lucern, explore lucern, paraglide at mount rili. Overnight at lucern

31july : ascend up mount titlis, overnight at titlis, enjoy national day fireworks

01aug: titlis glacier park, tubing and other fun activities, then descend back to lucern. Overnight at Lucerne.

02aug: morning train to Zurich, flight from Zurich at 4pm

That’s my lengthy itinerary..

1. Any rail pass to recommend ?

2. For places to stay, the cheapest found on the internet are youth hostel, we are about 30, are we welcomed at youth hostel? Any other budget accommodation?

3. Any tweeks to be done to our itinerary? Are the snow mountains the same? Any other places to recommend?

4. 01aug is national day, is it going to be crazy crowded? The plan is to enjoy snow activities that we have not tried before, will it be hazardous for first timer if it is crowded? Do you recommend visiting titlis on other days ?

5. Will be carrying around two 30″ luggage with wheels, is it going to be a hassle moving from one place to another? Will hotel normally allow us to leave luggage at concierge? Maybe for 1 or 2 days?

All input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance ! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 June 2014 at 8:28:35 #840168

Hi Krystle,

Thanks for posting your plans, you did a good job! Let’s look into your questions:

1. A 15-day Swiss Pass would be perfect with the amount of traveling you have planned. See our Swiss Pass page for all the information you need.
    2. Despite the name, people of any age are welcome in Youth Hostels. You can look into budget hotels too.
    3. July 27 – 29: with the activities you have planned, I would prefer a smaller town (e.g. Grindelwald) over Interlaken. Interlaken is convenient (good train connections, many shops and hotels), but it’s not very pretty. See the linked pages to find out what you like best. July 30: looks like a lot for one day. Paragliding can take a lot of time including the traveling, but you’d better check with the company you booked this. July 30 – August 1: I assume you are planning to stay in Engelberg, as you can’t stay at the Titlis. I would stay in Lucerne all days as it takes a lot of time to pack, check out, check-in and unpack for just one night. And Engelberg is only 45 minutes from Lucerne, so why move?
    4. All the popular places, which includes the Titlis, will be busy on August 1.
    5. Most hotels will be willing to help, and there are lots of options to store luggage at rail stations or have it transported for you. See here please: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2014 at 19:23:46 #840169

Hello Krystle

A few years ago we stayed a week in Biel/Bienne so I have a few suggestions for your stay in Neuchatel.

You canget a fast train train from Neuchatel to Biel (17min ride) or a slow train which stops at the villages along the shore (31 mins).Biel is an interesting place with lovely architecture. You can go on a 3-lake cruise from there (covered by Swiss Pass) One of the places we visited briefly was Murten – we intend to go back for longer visit. We also walked the vine path from Biel to La Neuveville and I am including some details from the website and personal
    experience.

“This tour has fabulous views, which begins less than two kilometers (1¼ miles) outside of Biel/Bienne. After a few hundred meters, you will reach the first spectacular photo opportunity; here you will have a unique view of St. Peter’s Island. From this moment on, the deep blue waters of Lake Biel is a constant
    companion. Next up, the second attractive motif is waiting to be photographed, in Twann/Douane. The picturesque and rambling alleyways here create a homely atmosphere. You will find a similar atmosphere in Ligerz, whose famous church is probably the most popular photo stop of all. The tour ends in the historic town of La Neuveville – or Neuenstadt, as the German-speaking people of Berne call it. The old town is well worth seeing and an inviting place to stay.”
    Route: Biel/Bienne – Twann – Ligerz – La Neuveville or vice versa
    Duration of section 3 hours 10 mins
    15 km /9miles
    Gradient 50m
    Access
    from Biel/Bienne station get bus no.11 (Rebenweg/chemindes vignes stop) . for the return journey it is possible to get the train or a boat from the villages on the northern shore of Lake Biel.
    This hike is regarded as easy – suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs. Each village along the route is worth a detour visit. Twann has some lovely eating places for lunch.
    It is an educational trail about Twann wine in Ligerz.
    Magnificent panoramic views of Lake Biel and St Peter’s Insel.
    There is a museum of the vine in Ligerz. (Rebenmuseum)

Your itinerary looks really good – I agree with Arno – the Swiss Pass for 15 days from 19th July would be my recommendation – it is so much easier to hop on and off the trains, buses and boats and the discount on cablecars etc saves a lot of money.
    Being in Switzerland on August 1st is special so enjoy!
    Have fun,
    Maggie

• The thread ‘please comment on itinerary! thanks’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.