Confused about 4 night itinerary and train pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2016 at 22:14:48 #809856

Hi everyone,

I am travelling from Paris to Switzerland this September. Unable to decide which place to visit on the first day. We are planning a four night stay in Switzerland and visiting Milan, como and Venice. Please help me plan my trip.

Should I travel to Zurich from Paris and spend a night there and move to Lucerne, engelberg, Mt titlis the next day and spend three nights in interlaken and visit places around interlaken? 3 nights in interlaken- is it worth?

Is buying a pass a good idea? I am travelling with my better half and 18 month baby 🙂 I am confused because of my little one.. So I really need help from the expertise here..

AND from which place in Switzerland travelling to Milan is easier and faster?

Every bit of advice is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 August 2016 at 8:57:56 #855001

Hi Qudsiya-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I like to travel in Switzerland in September. On average, it has the best weather patterns, although there are no promises in the Alps….the mountains make their own weather. 😉

With a short trip such as yours, I’d skip Zürich and go directly to Luzern or Interlaken. Assuming that you travel by train, coming from Paris you can transfer at Basel for Luzern, for example.

Zürich is my favorite city in Switzerland, but it is best for the cultural items, and is not rewarding for a quick visit as Luzern. Zürich is not in the Alps; Luzern has striking mountains and a beautiful setting on the lake.

Either Luzern and surroundings or the area near the Jungdrau/Interlaken can be rewarding for weeks, so there is more than enough o do and see for a few days.

Luzern and Interlaken offer similar convenience to Milan. Luzern is close to the Gotthard pass route; Interlaken is closest to the Simplon route via Spiez/Brig/ Domodosola.

The time table and a map wil help you visualize that:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

be sure to read the introductory instructions at that link.

This map is very helpful:

map.search.ch/

That map can be set to show train stations (etc.) by selecting Points of Interest/Traffic in the menus.

A rail pass is usually a good idea. These related links can get you started.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Arno and Annika can help you with the selection.

Hope that helps you get started.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2016 at 14:11:02 #855002

Dear Slowpoke,

I can’t thank you enough for your timely response. Will go through all the information you have provided and come up with the best possibilities that suit my requirement.

I have another query. As said earlier I am travelling to three countries-France,Switzerland and Italy. Is eurorail pass a better option and is this pass valid for inter rail connectivity in the said countries? Especially Switzerland

Its a little expensive than Swiss pass… But if it covers my requirement of inter country and inter rail it’s gonna be like an icing on cake.

Thanks 😊

Qudsiya.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 August 2016 at 14:26:02 #855003

Hi Qudsiya

Glad i could help.

i don’t know the answer to your questions about passes.

Arno or Annika will have to pick up.

I believe, however, that EurRail passes don’t cover the mountain transport in the Jungfrau region.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 August 2016 at 14:44:15 #855004

Hi Qudsiya,

Eurail passes don’t include as much as Swiss Travel Passes (the Swiss Pass as a tourist product does no longer exist since 2014). The below pages provide all the details to compare both options. Be sure to download the network map of each pass for all coverage details.

Please take some time to study these pages, and let us know if any questions remain.

• The thread ‘Confused about 4 night itinerary and train pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.