Please help plan my honeymoon trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2012 at 1:15:39 #805643

Hello all,

Am planning to visit Switzerland for my honeymoon.
    I plan to visit in April 1st week for 12 days (tickets not yet booked). Here are
    my choices/interests/points on the basis of which you’ll
    can give me your valuable suggestions.

1.I’ve approximately 3550 Swiss Francs at my disposal (excluding air fare and visa charges)

2.I would prefer not to go to commercialized places where everyone generally goes.
    (NOTE: Of course, if that commercialized place is really worth it then I would definitely like to visit.
    The reason I said “really worth” is because you can find the same kind of beauty/scenery at other less
    commercialized/visited places)

3.I dont have much interest in adventure sports maybe at the most a couple of them but it is
    definitely not the priority considering its a honeymoon.

4.Since its a budget trip, budget apartments are recommended. Also we would spend most of the
    time exploring Switzerland rather than spending time inside the apartment. All I want
    is a clean, safe place to stay.

5.We dont mind cooking meals but that will be strictly vegetarian for around 6 days.

6.We’ll be highly dependent on public transport so please recommend places to visit which are
    well connected with public transport. We love cycling so no problem for shorter distances.

7.Is this the right time to visit Swiss?? I know its not the peak season(June-September) but
    I dont want to visit at a time where I miss out on a scenic location due to cloudy, foggy, dull/bad
    weather. So if the answer is negative how much do u think approximately I’ll have to increase the budget of my budget trip during the
    peak season ??

8.I am more of a nature lover so please suggest places which have natural beauty/scenery in abundance.

This is our first visit to Europe.
    Thanks for reading 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    29 September 2012 at 2:26:16 #837302

Welcome ricoh83! Great that you get to spend your honeymoon in Switzerland. Since you’re traveling outside of high season, you won’t find the most common tourist attractions to be that crowded. So visiting highlights such as the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn near Interlaken and Rigi, Pilatus and Titlis near Lucerne is an option. Both towns are perfect in terms of transportation.

However, if you prefer to stay away from such areas, I recommend that you take a look at Graubünden which is generally more quiet and at least as beautiful. One of my favourite regions, the Engadine, isn’t well suited for a stay in April though, as it’s high up in the mountains and snow may still be melting. But you can consider areas near Chur, Davos, Klosters (these have the best public transportation connections), Sedrun, Bergün/Filisur, and so.

April is a good month in my opinion. You won’t be able to make hikes up in the mountains, but spring nature is beautiful. A disadvantage is that quite some cable cars and mountain trains won’t be running yet. As for weather: I’ve had quite some beautiful April months, but there are really no guarantees.

Tips for cheap accommodation and other budget tips are listed here.

If you plan to travel by train and bus mostly, a Swiss rail pass would definitely be worth your money. However, I’d wait with ordering if I were you; new promotions for next April may come along in 2013. If so, they will be mentioned in our rail forum. You can start planning your trips with the aid of the timetable. Have fun preparing!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2012 at 0:02:27 #837303

Thanks a ton Annika…that was extremely useful 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2012 at 11:25:44 #837304

I Hiked in the Appenzell area in August and it was fantastic! It may be to early to hike there in April but maybe you could spend some time in Appenzell town and do some biking and exploring the area by train, etc. This area is off the beaten track, and is simply beautiful!

I created a couple of video’s about this area and have put the links below because this area sounds like what you are looking for. Have a great trip!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O_3hGR7KYIk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=itWaN3foiAA

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2012 at 3:49:28 #837305

Bill, those are amazing videos. Just what I am looking for “in the lap of nature” 🙂

Do you think if I stay only at one place i.e. somewhere around Interlaken for around
    14 days, I can cover the entire Switzerland and all of its tourist destinations thanks to
    the Swiss Pass ?

Sunny.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2012 at 10:08:42 #837306

We only visited Interlaken for one day, and it was a busy place. I would also think it difficult to enjoy your day only to race back to Interlaken every evening. We also went to Switzerland in May of 2011. We didn’t know where to go or stay, what trains or hikes to take. I found a company called Alpenwild that sets up self guided Switzerland tours. We told them what we would like to do and see, and they created an itinerary for us that worked out great. They reserved our hotels (with meals), and told us where to hike and what trains to take. We normally do all of this preparation ourselves but for some reason we decided to go with Alpenwild and it really worked out perfect. We still had the adventure we wanted but didn’t have to sweat the details. Good luck!

Check out their website https://www.alpenwild.com/

• The thread ‘Please help plan my honeymoon trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.