Please help planning my trip to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 7:15:14 #809926

Hello

im traveling alone to Switzerland. I really have an open ticket and can do what I like.

I arrive in Basel-I would like to go from Basel to Zurich, Lucerne or st. Moritz but I’m so confused as to which city I should choose. The next day -I would like to take the bernina express. Should I stop and sleep somewhere again? If so, where? My intention is to go down to Italy. End up in Rome.

Can an you help me out here!? By the way I’m hoping to see some snow caps…will I?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 August 2016 at 7:36:09 #855268

Welcome to MySwissAlps Jiji77!

There are many, many options. What’s best depends on how long you plan to stay, when you plan to come, what your interests are (hiking, museums, sports, shopping, scenic trips, etc.) and your budget. I suggest to start on myswissalps.com/ plantrip, create a tentative plan, and get back here with more information and questions.

Note that the Bernina Express bus to Lugano does not operate from October 24 to late March, so you can only travel on the train to Tirano within that season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2016 at 7:45:14 #855269

Hi I’m coming tomorrow-I arrive in Basel at 16:45–I’m on a budget. I thought I can see Lucerne and Zurich that very same evening. Which train would I take? And which city should I stay?

The next day-I either leave on a bernina train to Italy or I hike for a cou uple hours. I’m confused.

-I would like to do scenic and hike a bit if possible.

also couple more questions I would love to do a couple hour hiking tour is that available? Is there a train to Italy from Tirano? Or simply a bus?

Can an I make it to Italy in one day using bernina?

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 August 2016 at 9:41:54 #855270

Hi Jiji77,

Sorry, but we don’t plan itineraries here. You have to come up with a plan yourself, and we can help fine tuning. But not on such short notice. I removed your other thread as it was duplicate to what you are asking here (please check the forum rules).

My best suggestion is to take a train straight to Lucerne and stay there. Check our Lucerne page for suggestions on what to do, including hiking tips. You’ll find hotel suggestions there as well. You can ask the tourist office at the main station for assistance if you need more help after going through the pages I gave you in this post and the previous one. Train schedules can be found in the timetable.

• The thread ‘Please help planning my trip to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.