Please help with a 2-day Switzerland itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2015 at 14:32:06 #807745

Hi there

We are a family of 4 in our early 50’s. We will be in staying in Zurich for 3 nights flying in on 21 September afternoon and flying out 24 September 2015 early morning. That gives us 2 full days to tour outside Zurich. Please suggest an itinerary. Basically see the Swiss countryside and culture. Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 August 2015 at 17:18:01 #845304

Hi sunshine108,

Thanks for joining us! The below pages will get you started:

Did you already book a hotel in Zurich? Personally I would rather stay in Lucerne. It’s closer to the mountains, which is probably the landscape you’re interested in seeing.

Once you have a (tentative) itinerary, feel free to post it here for feedback!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 August 2015 at 17:42:14 #845305

As Arno notes, Luzern would be a good base.

Zürich airport has 2 trains per hour that take 1 hr 02 min (no change) or 1hr 12 min (one change) to Luzern

The Zürich airport might as well be considered Luzern’s airport.

To get an idea of times and distances, use –

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

and

map.classic.search.ch/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2015 at 19:31:15 #845306

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Yes the hotel is already booked and paid for 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2015 at 19:35:36 #845307

Thank you Slowpoke. Will work on that right away.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 August 2015 at 19:55:56 #845308

Take a look at the links provided for Zürich and Luzern.

As noted above, Luzern is close enough to do a lot there, eveb if your hotel is in Zürich.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

North of Zürich and not far away is the Rhine Falls.

Quite a sight. Since I live in the northeastern USA, I have Niagra Falls, so I have only been to the Rhine Falls once. I can see water falls without paying Swiss Franks. 😉 They’re definitely a worthwhile sight.

http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

In contrast, I have been to and around Lucerne many times. Many things to do and see, many days worth of activities and sights. All kinds of hiking, an “easy, gentle” mountain (the Rigi) and a harsher mountain Pilatus. Lake boat rides are great. In my opinion, the best section for a boat ride is the southernmost part from Flüelen to Brunnen, and train from there. (10 minute walk – boat to train. Shuttle bus available.)

However, the whole lake provides a beautiful ride.

If you are interested, one of the best museum for Klee and Picasso, plus a small special museum about Picasso are each within 5-8 minutes of the Luzern Main Station.

Do you have any particular kinds of activities that interest you?

You could even squeeze in a visit to the Jungfrau region instead of Luzern. That region is highly dependent on having clear weather up high to get maximum impact, so normallyit is good to go there are two- three days to have a better chance for clear weather.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2015 at 13:37:45 #845309

Hi

After much research I have found that the tours on http://www.viator.com recommended by your website will actually suit us better. I am looking specifically at the “Best Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich: Jungfraujoch and Bernese Oberland” & the “Mount Rigi and Lucerne Summer Day Trip from Zurich”. Is it necessary to do both tours? Which would you suggest? We are interested in sightseeing & the Swiss culture. Not skiing :/

I am assuming that viator.com is reputable & a secure website.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 September 2015 at 16:49:55 #845310

Hi sunshine108,

The tours you mentioned are the ones below, is that right?

Both tours are very different. During the first one you’ll experience the cogwheel train to Jungfraujoch. It’s a good tour program as the bus drops you off in Grindelwald and picks you up in Lauterbrunnen, so you can do the full round trip. The second tour includes a cable car, a cogwheel train and a boat ride, plus time to do some hiking or just enjoy the views from Mount Rigi. It’s not necessary to do both, but they’re very different so if you have time you will see more of Switzerland. If you want to do one I’d suggest to review all the above links and see what attracts you most.

• The thread ‘Please help with a 2-day Switzerland itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.