Please help with rail planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2012 at 21:00:39 #805252

Hi!
    We are a couple that will be traveling in September by train from La Spezia, Italy to Murren, and staying for 3 nights. We then are traveling by train to Munich. We plan to purchase the Swiss Pass 2 for 1 deal. I have 3 questions hopefully you can help answer:
    1. The Train route from Italy goes through Milan, then Domodossola. Will the travel portion from Domodossola forward be free with the Swiss Pass?
    2. I am struggling with planning the route from Murren to Munich to take advantage of the Swiss Pass. What would be the best route to minimize costs and take advantage of the pass?
    3. Finally, could you confirm knowing our travel plans that it indeed does make sense to purchase the Swiss Pass.
    Thanks much
    Skip

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    17 May 2012 at 5:09:45 #836071

Hello Skip,

1. Indeed, the Swiss leg will be free from Domodossola onward with an validated Swiss Pass.

2. You will probably have used the Timetable to find possible connections. Travelling via Bern, Basel and Karlsruhe means a somewhat shorter Swiss leg and a rather long German leg of your journey. So I think you can better look for a connection via Bern and Zürich. Routes the train takes will show when you click on the “plus” right under the number of the connection. If you choose to travel from Zürich via Schaffhausen you will have to change trains quite a lot. There are also a straight connections from Zürich to München, but I don’t know if this will fit into your schedule.

3. Yes, it does make sense to use a Swiss Pass, especially if you can profit from the 2 for 1 offer!
    The Swiss timetable shows half fare prices by default: I think this means the SBB expects most people to travel with one of the Swiss Rail Passes.

Enjoy your preparations!

• The thread ‘Please help with rail planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.