Please help with rail planning

Please help with rail planning

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
skiphickman
skiphickman
1 post
May 15, 2012 - 11:00 PM
Hi!
We are a couple that will be traveling in September by train from La Spezia, Italy to Murren, and staying for 3 nights. We then are traveling by train to Munich. We plan to purchase the Swiss Pass 2 for 1 deal. I have 3 questions hopefully you can help answer:
1. The Train route from Italy goes through Milan, then Domodossola. Will the travel portion from Domodossola forward be free with the Swiss Pass?
2. I am struggling with planning the route from Murren to Munich to take advantage of the Swiss Pass. What would be the best route to minimize costs and take advantage of the pass?
3. Finally, could you confirm knowing our travel plans that it indeed does make sense to purchase the Swiss Pass.
Thanks much
Skip
Wandermann
Wandermann
297 posts
top member
May 17, 2012 - 5:09 AM
Hello Skip,

1. Indeed, the Swiss leg will be free from Domodossola onward with an validated Swiss Pass.

2. You will probably have used the Timetable to find possible connections. Travelling via Bern, Basel and Karlsruhe means a somewhat shorter Swiss leg and a rather long German leg of your journey. So I think you can better look for a connection via Bern and Zürich. Routes the train takes will show when you click on the "plus" right under the number of the connection. If you choose to travel from Zürich via Schaffhausen you will have to change trains quite a lot. There are also a straight connections from Zürich to München, but I don't know if this will fit into your schedule.

3. Yes, it does make sense to use a Swiss Pass, especially if you can profit from the 2 for 1 offer!
The Swiss timetable shows half fare prices by default: I think this means the SBB expects most people to travel with one of the Swiss Rail Passes.

Enjoy your preparations!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016