Please review 10-day itinerary for June, 2016

• Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    7 February 2016 at 15:26:04 #808384

Hello Experts,

We are 4 adults traveling from the United States to Zurich in June, 2016. Based on your input in previous posts, I have created an itinerary. Please review and let me know if you have better recommendations. We plan to purchase the 8-consecutive day Swiss Travel Pass. We spent 4 wonderful days in Wengen in September, 2015 with your help. Thank you for sharing your expert advice.

Itinerary

• 6/11 – Arrive in Zurich Airport at 3 pm. Take train from Zurich to Andermatt. From Annika’s link to the timetable, I see that there is a train leaving Zurich Airport at 5:47 pm reaching Andermatt at 8:30. Is this a direct train or are there changes?
    • 6/12 – Andermatt to Chur – Glacier Express (should we travel on to Davos to see more scenery and take the regular train back to Chur?) Will the Glacier Express allow passengers to board in Andermatt? The timetable shows that the Glacier Express leaves Andermatt at 10:59.
    • 6/12 – Stay in Chur
    • 6/13 – Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano, bus to Lugano (then to Varenna?. Or is it better to stay in Lugano and take a day trip to Varenna and Lake Como?)
    • 6/13, 6/14 – Stay in Varenna or Lugano – which would you recommend?
    • 6/15 – Train to Zermatt
    • 6/15, 6/16, 6/17 – Stay in Zermatt. Activities in Zermatt. Take train to Gornergrut. Hike Riffelberg to Rotenbergen or Riffelsee to Sunnega – which would you recommend?
    • 6/18 – Train to Zurich
    • 6/19 – return to United States
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 February 2016 at 2:36:44 #848244

Hi Travelbug-

<<“From Annika’s link to the timetable, I see that there is a train leaving Zurich Airport at 5:47 pm reaching Andermatt at 8:30. Is this a direct train or are there changes?”>>

The time table also shows two changes on that trip. Actually, arrives at 2023, not 2030.

One change is at Zürich main station (inbound track 5, outbound track 7, 10 minutes which is plenty), the other at Göschenen, ( 27 minutes for the change) where you pick up the narrow gauge equipment.

More than likely, if your plane is on time, you can catch an earlier train from the airport to Zürich main station. They run frequently, many per hour, baggage return is fast , and , if your plane is on time, you are likely to catch a train 1 1/2 hours or less after arrival.

Trains leave the airport for that connection at 1547, 1647, 1747…If you pick the one with change at Arth Goldau…that one is easy. Just walk across the platform.

With the Swiss Travel Pass, you are can be flexible on which trains you take. Good idea to get it online before you leave the States.

Take another look at the timetable, and click on the plus sign to the left of the journey.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 February 2016 at 11:33:08 #848245

Welcome back Travelbug53!

Slowpoke’s comments help you to dig a little deeper into the timetable to get all the details of your trips.

You can board the Glacier Express anywhere as long as you have a seat reservation for the leg you’ll be traveling. You could stay seated to Filisur and change for Davos there. That’s a very scenic but short ride. In that case you can pick up the Bernina Express in Filisur. Chur is more picturesque and larger than Davos, but the surroundings of Davos are more mountainous.

I don’t know Varenna so I can’t comment on that. I’m not sure how much time it takes to get there. Lugano is also on a lake, but I can’t say whether one option would be better than the other.

The hikes near Zermatt can be found on myswissalps.com/zermat t/activities. Both options are wonderful but different. The one from Rotenboden starts (or ends) a lot higher and offers more views of the Matterhorn. But if you like something different you can opt for the other one. Please read all details on the page I referred to.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 February 2016 at 17:07:02 #848246

<<“6/15 – Train to Zermatt6/15, 6/16, 6/17 – Stay in Zermatt.Activities in Zermatt. Take train to Gornergrut. Hike Riffelberg toRotenbergen or Riffelsee to Sunnega – which would you recommend?”>>

<<“The hikes near Zermatt can be found on myswissalps.com/ zermatt/activities.Both options are wonderful but different. The one from Rotenboden starts (or ends) a lot higher and offers more views of the Matterhorn.But if you like something different you can opt for the other one.Please read all details on the page I referred to.”>>

Hi Annika –

What will trail conditions be in mid June?

Slowoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 February 2016 at 10:51:04 #848247

Hi Slowpoke,

I would say there’s a good chance it will be fine. If not, it will probably just be the higher trails around Rotenboden that will be snow covered, so plenty of alternatives left. But, one can’t plan for that until that very week, when the local tourist agency will be able to inform about all trail conditions. Even in July trails can be snow covered, but it’s unusual.

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    9 February 2016 at 11:19:28 #848248

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments and recommendations Arno and Slowpoke. I appreciate your time and expertise.

• The thread ‘Please review 10-day itinerary for June, 2016’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.