Pls suggest me an appropriate pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2013 at 2:39:59 #805805

hi all,
    We are a family of three (2 adults and our son age 8) in the first week of March, we will be travelling to Switzerland. we would start from Zurich Airport to Lucerne, stay there for 3 days, and then back to Zurich Airport.
    while in Lucerne we plan to go to Engelberg ,mt Titlis, Stanserhorn,Hergiswil to see the glass factory,and move about in lucerne and visit a few museums in Lucerne itself.
    i would like to know if it would be worth taking the swiss pass or point to point tickets would work better. and eco.
    also can we tourists buy half rate cards?
    what is the passepartout for lucerne area and does it work for us? also does it offer similar discounts as that of swiss pass?

Which rail pass/passes should be most appropriate?waiting for your reply

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 February 2013 at 11:51:38 #838113

Hi megp15,

A Swiss Half Fare Card would be a good choice. You need to buy 50% discounted tickets for all of your trips. This page is about the 1-month tourist version. Another option is the 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. It’s more expensive to buy, but it includes free train, bus and boat traveling for the 3 days. It’s more convenient as you don’t have to buy tickets. Mountain transport (e.g. Titlis) requires 50% discounted tickets in both cases. By the way, a trip up the Rigi is also free with the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, as well as many museums, including the glass factory. Your son travels along for free in both cases. Which pass works out cheaper would depend on your exact trips and can be calculated as explained here. All in all, I would prefer the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass myself.

You’ve probably heard about the Tell Pass for that region, but that’s only available from April.

Hotels near the rail station can be found here.

• The thread ‘Pls suggest me an appropriate pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.