Pocket Wifi Switzerland vs Wifi in Hotels & other

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2016 at 9:02:35 #810446

We are wondering whether the rental of the Pocket Wifi Switzeralnd is worthwhile when most of the hotels offer free Wifi. We would appreciate hearing from people who have used both services.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 December 2016 at 9:34:17 #857416

Welcome to MySwissAlps Woodies2!

I have used the Travelers Wifi device as well as wifi in hotels and holiday homes. The Travelers Wifi was much faster than the wifi network of the accommodation we stayed at, and I ended up using the device instead of the wifi available there. Obviously this differs for each accommodation.

I think you can do without the device if you just need to check your e-mail or the weather forecast once or twice a day. If internet is important to you, and you need to use it throughout the day (for maps, train schedules, etc), the device is really handy. Here’s a trip report of someone else who rented the device: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/trip-report-8-days-sept-29-october-7

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2016 at 22:45:35 #857417

Thank you, Arno, for the information regarding the Travellers’ Wifi. Much food for thought. We really enjoyed reading Ellen S’s experience around the Jungfrau area. I have printed it out for future reference. Her photos are superb! I have also printed out the relevant train timetables for the days we plan to travel so maybe no need for wifi on the trains. We will be in Switzerland from 16-24 May, 2017.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 December 2016 at 20:00:57 #857418

<<” I have also printed out the relevant train timetables for the days we plan to travel so maybe no need for wifi on the trains.”>>

Hi Woodie…What if you change your plans? Will you really want to manage your trip under the control of saving a few dollars or Euros or CHF?

have relied on hotel and tourist office Wi-Fi for years. This year, I am testing the Travelers’ Hotspot.

For my limited usage, I find it convenient, but not necessary.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2016 at 1:09:19 #857419

Thank you, Slowpoke. I have found your posts useful. We have Aussie dollars, looking better against the Swiss franc at the moment but not so good against the US dollar. We think the Travellers’ Wifi would be a nice luxury to have so will put it on our Wish List.

• The thread ‘Pocket Wifi Switzerland vs Wifi in Hotels & other’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.