Power adapter in Interlaken/Zurich?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2015 at 17:44:03 #807694

I tried to search for what kind of power adapter is needed for iphone charging in Switzerland and I got mixed results……some say general europe power adapter works, some say need special 3 prong one in switzerland, so I’m confused. For interlaken/zuric area, what kind of adapter should I carry to charge iphone? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    5 August 2015 at 0:36:46 #845023

jbhawtan,

I my most recent travels I encountered both two and three prong receptacles! The three prong plugs appeared in the toilet rooms and/or wet locations. These may indicate a dedicated ground to prevent or minimize elect shock hazards. I purchased an adaptor in shop in Montreaux for about 8 ChF. Perhaps you should travel with both adaptors just to insure that your devices and appliances can be used with either receptacle.

Safe Traveling!

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 August 2015 at 9:14:37 #845024

The standard two prong plug as described on http://www.worldstandards.eu/ electricity/plugs-and-sockets/c/ works almost everywhere, except in bathrooms and kitchens with the 3 prong outlets. I have not stayed in a hotel yet where it did not fit. But if so, either the hotel or a local shop (even larger supermarkets) can sell you an adapter.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2015 at 12:06:38 #845025

<<“The standard two prong plug as described on http://www.worldstandards.eu/ electricity/plugs-and-sockets/c/ works almost everywhere, except in bathrooms and kitchens with the 3 prong outlets.”>> I carry both, since I like the extra safety of the 3-wire with ground wire in wet places. I have several 2- wire and 1 or 2 – three wire.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 13:16:46 #845026

Thanks all for your responses, very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 14:30:29 #845027

>> I tried to search for what kind of power adapter is needed for iphone charging in Switzerland and I got mixed results……some say general europe power adapter works, some say need special 3 prong one in switzerland, so I’m confused. For interlaken/zuric area, what kind of adapter should I carry to charge iphone? <<

If you are charging an iPhone, you can plug it into a USB port. If the TV in your hotel room has a USB port, you could use that.

You can also buy plug-in USB ports with interchangeable prongs, and usually one of them will be the right type for Switzerland.

If you already have a round two-prong adaptor that is commonly used in Europe, you can buy an adaptor that you can use with it piggy-back fashion to fit the hexagonal Swiss power points. The InterDiscount store in the lower level shopping area of Zürich Hauptbahnhof (Zürich main station) sells them. They are open Monday to Friday 8am to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am to 8pm. (You mentioned you would be going to Zürich).

Hope this helps.

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 August 2015 at 14:55:28 #845028

That’s a good tip Alpenrose666, thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2015 at 13:17:41 #845029

Thanks Alpenrose666.

• The thread ‘Power adapter in Interlaken/Zurich?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.