Probability of Alps being hidden by clouds

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2016 at 18:20:37 #809757

Good afternoon and please forgive me as I am sure this has been asked before. I also understand that this question may be difficult to answer and I understand there are no guarantees because it is mother nature.

We plan to be in the Lauterbrunnen area in September. Is it possible to say that 50 percent of the time or more the mountains are hidden by clouds? Or is it such that of a morning it is clear and by mid afternoon they are engulfed?

We will be in Switzerland for a couple of weeks and in Lauterbrunnen for around four to five days. I am even thinking of doing some of the reservations at the last second so I can monitor weather and be there when no rain is in the forecast. Although that makes me a little nervous in that I don’t want to find out I have no lodging. I am curious about the clouds because we plan to hike and after all I want to see the majesty of the Alps.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 July 2016 at 18:46:18 #854570

It is not possible to answer your question for the reasons you note.

However, typically September has the best weather of the year in the area around Lauterbrunnen. The typical pattern is sun in the morning, clouds beginning to gather by early afternoon, then a late afternoon quick thunderstorm. We have been to the area for 19 years in a row during September and only once (in 2001) did the cool and rainy fall weather settle in during early September.

Be aware that weather forecasts in the area are really only accurate up to about 36 – 48 hours in advance. That is because the mountains make their own weather.

If you want to wait to the last minute (and I do mean last minute!) you should have no problem finding lodging in September. That is if you can be flexible. If you want a particular hotel you should book in advance to prevent disappointment.

Merav
    Participant
    6 posts
    27 July 2016 at 9:11:14 #854571

hi

jumping into this thread…

What is the most recomended ans reliable forecast internet -site?

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 July 2016 at 9:29:10 #854572

Here’s a good one: myswissalps.com/weathe r/forecast. The same one as the daily forecast on TV in fact.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2016 at 13:19:03 #854573

Thank you for your kind reply I appreciate the information. I was in Lauterbrunnen once before for a day and a half and did some day hiking it was spectacular. I have done a lot of hiking in the Canadian Rockies and I love them. I tell you that to give you an idea of the trails and views I like. I don’t know if you have ever been there. I realize everything is subjective when it comes to this. But in your opinion are there other places in Switzerland with prettier views of the alps than Lauterbrunnen? I find the views in the Jungfrau to be magnificent. Thanks again

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 July 2016 at 23:38:38 #854574

Hi jsanderfield –

<<“But in your opinion are there other places in Switzerland with prettier views of the alps than Lauterbrunnen? I find the views in the Jungfrau to be magnificent. Thanks again”>>

Yes. Go up. Try the walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

See attached.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2016 at 2:24:40 #854575

I am sorry, I didn’t make myself very clear. I was asking if a different region like the Valais was prettier than here? I ask that because I have never been here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2016 at 6:55:45 #854576

<<“I am sorry, I didn’t make myself very clear. I was asking if a different region like the Valais was prettier “>>

Hi jsanderfield –

That is really a matter of personal opinion. I find many different regions of Switzerland to be very pretty, including those not in the Alps. However, including the Alps in one’s view certainly helps. 😉

And, many people like Zermatt:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/activities

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/zermatt.html

It is certainly true that the Rhone Valley tends to be much drier,sunnier, and with a different weather pattern than Switzerland north of the Alps.

As is often said –

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is a large number of Images of all aspects of Switzerland of all kinds…….. I find many of them to be pretty, too.

commons.wikimedia.org/ wiki/Special:ListFiles /WillYs_Fotowerkstatt

Slowpoke

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    28 July 2016 at 23:16:25 #854577

Hi jsanderfield,

We lived in Saskatchewan for 9 years and have visited Calgary and the Canadian Rockies many times. Truly a majestic sight. Last September, we had the good fortune to stay in the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Bernese Oberland for 4 days. You can’t go wrong! There is so much to do and see – wonderful hikes (see Kim's document), beautiful villages and towns (Wengen, Grindelwald, Gimmelwald, Murren) scenic train and cable car rides – (Jungfraujoch, Schynigge Platte, The Schilthorn) and one of our highlights -Trummelbach Falls near Lauterbrunnen. My son is a big fan of J.R.R. Tolkien, and was thrilled to discover that he found inspiration for Lord of the Rings while staying in Lauterbrunnen! We were so blown away by the beauty of Switzerland that we went back in June of this year. This time, we stayed in the Engadine Valley area near St. Moritz and also in Zermatt. Again, an unforgettable experience. In my opinion, if you have to choose one area, I would recommend the Bernese Oberland, but I guarantee that you will want to go back to Switzerland after your first visit!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2016 at 13:41:28 #854578

Thanks to all who have replied, I appreciate your insight and input

• The thread ‘Probability of Alps being hidden by clouds’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.