Trip report 5 Sept/Oct 2012 Grindelwald market

Trip report 5 Sept/Oct 2012 Grindelwald market

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
traveljet
traveljet
51 posts
May 7, 2016 - 12:23 PM

PART 5 Trip Report: GRINDELWALD MARKET in Oct 2012.

(Pt 1 was Beatenberg and Brienz; Pt 2 was Wengen and Junfrau; Pt 3 was Mannlichen; Pt 4 was Lauterbrunnen and Murren;)

We were visiting when Grindelwald was holding their market which is I think only once a year in October. That was in 2012 and I am not sure if it's different these days. A fun day walking past the stalls which were pretty colourful and interesting (definitely not a flea market with cheap trinkets) - local delicacies and also swiss made items which were unique.

We walked through the town (definitely more bustling and not as restful as Wengen or Murren) and only spent a day at this market. For our future trip, we will go up to First to do the Cliff walk and also the Gorge.

So I don't have much to say about Grindelwald except that we definitely wouldn't base ourselves in this busier town. But you must do the ride from Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund, then bus or train (I think a short ride) to Grindelwald itself to walk around.

Attached are photos of some of the interesting stalls at the Grindelwald market. Hope you enjoy them.

SUMMARY: Take the scenic route via Lucerne to Interlaken, if you are not in a hurry from Zurich airport. Attached are 2 photos of what to expect during the picturesque ride.

The weather during our time in the Jungfrau region was lovely. However, as they say you can see different types of scenes from cloudy to clear in a day. So I attached 2 photos where you can see the difference on a clear vs cloudy day in each photo. The weather clears very fast - at times within the hour.

Please login to see the attached documents
JennyK
JennyK
8 posts
May 9, 2016 - 5:29 AM

Thanks for all your detailed posts about the OB region. Very helpful for our upcoming trip.

traveljet
traveljet
51 posts
May 9, 2016 - 7:09 AM in reply to JennyK

Thanks Jenny, glad you find some of the info helpful. Hope you have a good trip and take your time to enjoy the region and rides.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016