Queries on Lucerne – Jungfraugh – Lucerne trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2016 at 5:46:06 #809348

Hi MySwissAlps admin,

I should admit that this site is of great help to any new visitors to Switzerland. With the help of information provided here, we were able to plan most of our itinerary.

My husband, son (16), daughter (9) and myself will be in Switzerland from 28-Jun-16 night till 2-Jul-16 afternoon and we’ve already bought a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass with Swiss Family Card. Our base will be Lucerne during the entire stay.

Here is my first set of questions:

29-Jun-16: Jungfraugh

Lucerne – Interlaken OST – Grindelwald (Free with STP) – Klein Scheidegg – Jungfraugh – Klein Scheidegg – Lauterbrennen – Interlaken OST – Lucerne (Free with STP).

Grindelwald – Klein Scheidegg – Jungfraugh – Klein Scheidegg – Lauterbrennen tickets for 3 of us (excluding my daughter expecting she will travel free with Swiss Family Card) are already bought with the STP discounts; reservation also made for Klein Scheidegg – Jungfraugh – Klein Scheidegg route.

1) What kind of clothing do you suggest during this Jungfraugh trip?

2) Hope 3 hrs at Jungfraugh (top of Europe) will be enough to cover the activities there.

3) Do we have to take tickets in advance for the activities at the top of Jungfraugh?

4) We would like to stop over either at Lauterbrennen or Interlaken for 2 hrs on our way down. Could you please suggest any one of these and the areas we can cover within 2 hrs?

5) Will there be food available on Golden Pass (Lucerne – Interlaken OST – Lucerne) route? Or can we carry food with us to have it in the train to save time?

6) Usually till what time the restaurants are open in Switzerland?

Thanks & Best Regards..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 June 2016 at 11:04:53 #852620

Welcome Shillus!

I’m glad to hear you like our website. Let’s see if I can help you out:

1) Please see the Preparation section at myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch. If you plan to do snow activities you need water proof shoes and clothing as well.

2) That should be enough, unless you also want to do the walk to the Mönchjochhütte.

3) No

4) Lauterbrunnen is a very small village. Just a place to change trains or start/end a hike. You could walk to the Staubbach Fall in 20 minutes, for example. Also there’s an easy walk to Stechelberg if you like. Interlaken is a lot bigger but not very pretty. The stroll from the Ost to the West station along the main street is nice. There are mainly shops, hotels and restaurants. There’s a field along the main road with a nice view of the Jungfrau, but once you’ve done the trip to Jungfraujoch this view might not overwhelm you. Wengen is another good place to enjoy the views and have lunch, and finally there’s a round trip Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp – Mürren – Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen as described here. Very nice as well. Doing it the other way round is a bit more dramatic I would say.

5) Most of those trains have an on board restaurant to have a meal or a snack. You can take your own food as well (but not to the restaurant car).

6) It depends, but I would say that most will close between 10 and 11 PM, and 6 PM to 8 PM is usual time to start dinner.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2016 at 9:00:50 #852621

Thanks Arno. Appreciate your detailed reply. Will be in touch with more questions..

• The thread ‘Queries on Lucerne – Jungfraugh – Lucerne trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.