Murren to Schilthorn hike; how to return back down

Murren to Schilthorn hike; how to return back down

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Bhushan
Bhushan
13 posts
Jul 13, 2016 - 1:22 PM

Hi,

I would be in Wengen from 21st-24th this month and one of the hikes I plan to do is Murren to Schilthorn top. I understand the hike is steep and would take 3.5 - 4 hours to climb. I had two questions regarding the descent

1. Is it be possible to come down using the cable car/Gondola ? Do they sell one way ticket down at the top or do I need to buy return trip ticket?

2. Is there an easier way to get down which would take me to some village from where I can catch a train

Regards

Bhushan

Brahms
Brahms
211 posts
Jul 13, 2016 - 7:43 PM

You can ask it by the Schilthornbahn:

Mail to: info@schilthorn.ch

The climb to Schilthorn is very heavy and steep.........

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2638 posts
expert
Jul 14, 2016 - 2:14 AM in reply to Bhushan

Hi Bhusan-

Will you have hiking boots and hiking staffs?

Are you accustomed to hiking at high altitudes, as in Nepal, so that climbing with low oxygen pressure will be normal for you?

Slowpoke

Bhushan
Bhushan
13 posts
Jul 14, 2016 - 4:00 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

Me and my wife both have done multiple multi-day treks in the Himalayas mostly going between 4000- 5000 mtrs high. We have good Quechua hiking shoes that have so far been excellent in all Himalayan treks.

I understand climbing 3000 ft in a day is a tough ask.We are both fit but a bit out of practice as in the last Himalayan trek was two years ago. That is why I am looking for an alternative for the way down so that if we are too tired while climbing up, we have an easier return

Regards

Bhushan

Bhushan
Bhushan
13 posts
Jul 14, 2016 - 4:04 AM in reply to Brahms

Thanks Brahms,

Will send the email to get information about one way ticket. I know the climb is steep and hard, that is precisely why I would like to do it :)

Regards

Bhushan

Arno
Arno
7696 posts
expert &
Jul 14, 2016 - 5:28 AM

A one-way ticket down shouldn't be a problem. Whether they actually have a ticket window up there I don't know, but there's always a way to use the cable for just the ride down. I remember doing this once at another mountain. They didn't sell tickets at the top station but I could ride down and pay at the bottom station. They won't force you to walk down :-)

Bhushan
Bhushan
13 posts
Jul 14, 2016 - 5:30 AM in reply to Arno

Thanks Arno, that helps a lot

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2638 posts
expert
Jul 14, 2016 - 9:49 AM in reply to Bhushan
Bhushan
Bhushan
13 posts
Jul 14, 2016 - 10:04 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks Slowpoke,

Nice hiking with great views is all I am looking for. If all goes well, will be heading to Nepal this November for an extended trek :)

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016