Query on New Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 December 2014 at 6:30:32 #806768

Hello Everyone,

I will be travelling to Swiss around mid Feb, and have almost my finalized itinerary and based on this I had almost booked the 4 day Swiss Pass. That is until I accidentally stumbled upon this site and found that starting Jan 2015 the new Pass fares will come into effect. Before I shoot my questions, here are my travel details.

Travelling – couple ( Adult aged 28, youth aged 24)

On Feb 17th I will reach Geneva from Nice, France at about 17:15 PM. My idea is to goto Lucerne region and for this I have considered the golden pass line which starts from Montreux. And for this reason, I will head straight to Montruex from Geneve CFF.

Morning 18th Feb, I will start my Golden pass line jounrey from Montreux station up unitl Lucerne. From here take train to engelberg and visit Titlis along via the rope way and return back to Engelberg and stay overnight at Engelberg.

Morning 19th Feb go to lucerne. I had initially planned to go for mount pilatus from lucerne but found out that it will be closed till march 2015 due to the ongoing construction of the new cable way. Hence I will spend this day at leisure in lucerne, probably go on a cruise or some short half day trip ( Any suggestion will be useful).

Morning 20th Feb, directly goto Zurich airport from lucerne station and fly out of swiss. This will be early morning because the flight departs at 10:10 and there will be no time to go anywhere else apart from airport.

So my journey now stands at

-Geneva to Montreux on Feb 17th

-Montreux – Lucerne – Engelberg (and the mountain car ride which has 50% discount for swiss pass) on Feb 18th

– Engelberg-Lucerne and few short boat cruises on Feb 19th.

-Lucerne to Zurich Airport on Feb 20th.

Questions:

1)So based on this, which would be my best pass fit ? A 3 or 4 day Swiss pass or Swiss flexi pass?

2)What will be the price list of the new passes. They seem to have not updated the Price list yet. As per my understanding from what i have read of other posts here ( discontinuing the saver price), the price for adult 4 day pass would be around 200 euros and youth would be around 166 euros.

3) Further, will the golden pass line trains start from the same station in Montreux as to where the Geneva train comes? Or is there a seperate rail station for panoramic trains in Montreux?

4) Is it better to buy the Swiss pass online upfront, or can i buy it when I reach Geneva station at about 5 30 in the evening? Is there any discount if you buy your passes in advance?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 December 2014 at 15:22:14 #841425

Hi itssujay,

Thanks for joining us! Let’s look into your questions:

1) Either a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card makes sense. Just check the links and see which option you like best. Once your itinerary is fixed you can calculate which pass is cheapest.

2) Please check back here in the second week of January. By then, you can go to the Price section of any of our rail pass pages, and all prices will be announced.

3) The Golden Pass trains depart from the main station in Montreux, which is the same station where trains from Geneva arrive.

4) You can buy it wherever you find convenient, both online and offline. All the purchase options are listed in the Price section of our pass pages. There are some discounts as well (usually online only), please go to the Discounts section to check them out. If you prefer the ‘old’ Swiss Saver Pass you can still buy that online and it will be valid in February. You’d better buy it before December 26 though, as quite some websites go in maintenance mode between Christmas and New Year, and the old passes will no longer be available in 2015.

I would not book an hotel in both Lucerne and Engelberg. Just stay in Lucerne for both nights. It saves you lots of time and you’ll be more flexible as you can’t know in advance if the weather will be good enough to visit Mount Titlis. At least you can choose from two days now. On the other day, a trip to Mount Rigi would be nice. It’s included for free in the Swiss Travel Pass. Good hotels in Lucerne are listed here.

Hopefully this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 December 2014 at 5:50:28 #841426

Thanks Arno for your suggestion! I did check the swiss half-fare but as of now, a 4 day swiss pass works out better for me. I will decide based on the new prices which will be released during 2nd week of jan, as you mentioned. I have a feeling that a 3 days swiss travel pass would work out good for me.

And also many thanks for your suggestion regarding engelberg/lucerne.

Best regards,

Sujay

• The thread ‘Query on New Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.