Query on Swiss Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2012 at 14:53:29 #804872

Hi, just looking for some advice on passes in Switzerland this June.

There will be two of us, both 24yrs old. One travelling from the USA, and I’ll be travelling from Ireland.

The plan is to fly to Geneva, spend 2 days there. We will be getting a tram to CERN, and also the bus out to Veyrier to visit Mont Saleve. (I guess the pass wouldn’t cover the cable car there as its across the border?)

Then we plan to go to Lucerne. From there we plan to take a train to Alpenachstad, take the cog railway up to Mt Pilatus, and get the cable cars down the other side. Then get a bus back to Lucerne. Possibly also go on a steamboat on the Lake.

Then we plan to get a train to Zurich to connect to another train to Salzburg. Would the swiss pass cover this? I have checked that train out on sbb.ch and it is direct for the time we want to get it, so we would not have to switch trains anywhere between Zurich and Salzburg.

(We will also be getting a few more trains in Austria and then a train to Venice which will be our final destination)

Any recommendations on the passes?

Oh also one last question, I know the Swiss Saver Pass covers travel for two people together. Does that mean you only have to buy one ticket for 200€, or however much it is, and that covers you both? Or does the other person have to get a second ticket regardless (as wouldn’t that cover the travel for 4 people?)

Thanks in advance for your help =)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 February 2012 at 12:06:38 #834738

Hello bekjm, and welcome to the forum! First of all, the Swiss Saver Pass is one ticket for two or more people traveling together, so you share the same ticket. The prices displayed at the upper right corner of the Swiss Pass page are for 2 people (you can select other amounts of travelers too) once you select a Swiss Saver Pass. Does that help you out? However, if you’re interested in a Swiss Pass, you’d be better off buying Swiss Youth Passes. Two of them are cheaper than a Swiss Saver Pass for the two of you.

The Swiss Pass and its variants are valid within Swiss borders, with a few exceptions for connection train lines to neighbouring countries. The French cable car you mentioned isn’t included indeed. The trip to Austria is covered up to Feldkirch. Please review the map we link to from the Swiss Pass page for an exact overview of validity.

In all, it might be cheaper to use a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass for the longer transfers, and profit from a 50% discount on the days you want to make shorter local trips. You could start its validity when traveling from Geneva to Lucerne. Do you plan to stay in a hotel in Geneva? In that case you’ll receive the free Geneva Transport Card, which may suffice for your local trips during the first few days of your stay.

I hope this helps you decide! Best regards,

• The thread ‘Query on Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.