Query on weekend trip Zurich to Milan and back

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2015 at 21:52:59 #807643

We are planning to drive a rental car from Zurich to locarno to lugano to Milan and back. Could you help identify the best route, things to do and economical places to stay. We have a 9 mths old baby with us on the journey.

Thank you

Regards

Anita

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 July 2015 at 0:49:36 #844826

I have never done that by car. If you must do so, avoid the Gotthard on weekends in the summer – especially August – hours of delays.

I prefer the trains. Frequent, comfortable, great scenery for all, not excluding the driver (which s a problem when driving a car through the Alps.)

Zürich to Milano – by train – 4 hrs, many with no change of train. Restaurant cars.

By car – three hours – if you can drive quickly in and out of the city traffic and have a place to park the car once you arrive.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 July 2015 at 16:46:20 #844827

Hi Anita,

Driving in Milan isn’t much fun. Quite hectic, unless you know your way around of course. Personally I would stay in the Lugano/Locarno area if it’s just for a weekend. Lugano is closer to Zurich and the area offers plenty to do for a weekend. You can even do a day trip to Milan from there by train if you wish. The website http://www.luganoturismo.ch/e n/716/tourist-information.aspx is a good start.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2015 at 21:04:16 #844828

Thank you so much for your inputs. We are planning to cover locarno, lugano, como, n drive back thru Milan on Monday (3 day weekend). So my base should be Lugano or como? Also are B&B safe to stay with an infant?could you suggest places to cover n visit? Please do help me.

Thank you

Regards,

Anita

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 July 2015 at 22:36:18 #844829

<<“Thank you so much for your inputs. We are planning to cover locarno, lugano, como, n drive back thru Milan on Monday (3 day weekend). So my base should be Lugano or como? Also are B&B safe to stay with an infant?could you suggest places to cover n visit? “>>

<<“Please do help me.”

I’m afraid that I cannot. I have made some parts of that drive with our salesman who knows the area and the traffic patterns. It was not user friendly. I would not try to do on my own what you are proposing, unless I already knew the area very well. I have travelled in Switzerland many years by car, and some in Italy. I would not try what you propose. Perhaps one of the forum moderators can help you, although it seems that you are also ignoring the advice from Arno.

From your comments, I believe that the area is not familiar to you. It is reasonably familiar to Arno. I do not understand your choices.

On the other hand, if you have driven in Northern Italy before, then you know more about the issues than I do. I assume then that you have a good map, including city map of Milano, to support your GPS with a broader view.

Arno’s advice should still be considered.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2015 at 11:00:34 #844830

Thanks so much for great help with my travel. We did travel by car and there were no issues in fact convenient to stop n change or feed baby. Como to Milan we did train n all the inputs helped. Appreciate the help

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 August 2015 at 6:57:03 #844831

Hi Anita!

Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed your trip, and thanks for letting us know. The combination of car and train seems to have worked out fine for you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 11:15:28 #844832

Thanks for your reply, have posted another query for travel by train, could u reply on that too.

Thank you

travel 7-10 Aug

Zurich- Luzern

Luzern’s to breinz- interlaken

Interlaken- titlis

Interlaken -lauterbrunnen n return to zurich

Could you suggest on must see and train pass for 4 days if we shut buy?

Regards,

Anita

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2015 at 15:07:09 #844833

<<“travel 7-10 AugZurich- LuzernLuzern’s to breinz- interlakenInterlaken- titlisInterlaken -lauterbrunnen n return to zurich”>>

I suggest that you look at a map, then the timetable.

map.classic.search.ch/

ande/or the maps associated with individual train routes on the SBB site:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

Titlis is closer to Luzern than to Interlaken.

Here are some links to find ideas about specific locations:

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

-Check out indvidual cities (Luzern, Interlaken, Zürich).

-Check out the regions – Berner Oberland and Jungfrau Region.

With that list, I’d chose between Titlis and the Jungfrau region. Then, I’d organize about one day at/near Luzern and the rest at Wengen or Mürrren or Grindelwald in theJungfrau region. I’d skip Titlis. I’d decide whether or not to stay in Luzern one night based on how early you are willing to get up in the morning or arrive there from Zürich, and how much time you need (if any) in Zürich. Zürich and Luzern are 45 minutes to one hour from each other by train, and the trains run twice per hour.

The majority of your time should be in the Jungfrau region, but cloudy weather would keep you away from the high peaks, meaning more time for Luzern and vicinity.

<<“Could you suggest on must see”>>

Must see depends on your particular interests. If you read a bit about the areas, it willhelp you generate your own “must see” list.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Query on weekend trip Zurich to Milan and back’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.