Question on the STS Family card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2011 at 18:18:16 #804284

Hi,

I’ll be touring Europe with my wife and 3 kids aged 11, 8 and 3. We’ll be renting a motorhome and plan to stay a couple of days in Interlaken in early June.

We do not plan to travel by train in Switzerland and will not be purchasing any Swiss passes or Half fare cards. But my family and I would like to visit Jungfraujoch as we’ve been told it’s not to be missed. I know the train tickets from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch is pretty expensive and would like to minimize my cost.

I understand children up to the age of 16 years travel for free with a STS Family Card. Can I purchase the STS Family Card without purchasing any Swiss pass or Half fare cards? This way I will only be paying for 2 adult tickets but the kids will ride for free on the Jungfraujoch train.

If anyone has a better suggestion that can help me reduce my cost further, I’ll be very grateful for your help.

Thanks.
    Charan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 May 2011 at 3:17:07 #832805

Hi Charan,

The STS Family Card is only valid with a rail pass of the Swiss Travel System such as the ones you mentioned. Your 3-year old travels for free without any pass or ticket required. Your other kids can travel along for free if you purchase Junior travelcards.

If you are planning to use more mountain transportation than just the Jungfraujoch, the Swiss Half Fare Card (one for each adult) is already worth it’s money. Then you would not need the Junior travelcards as you will get a free STS Family Card.

The first train up the Jungfrau is cheaper with a Good Morning Ticket Jungfraujoch (no further discounts with the Swiss Half Fare Card).

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2011 at 7:38:44 #832806

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, my duration of stay in Switzerland only permits me to make one mountain visit. So the Swiss Half Fare Cards would not very economical for me.

So if I understand correctly, I will have to purchase 2 adult full fare tickets as well as purchase 2 Junior travelcards for my 8 and 11 year olds (my 3 year old travels for free). The Junior travelcards will allow my 8 and 11 year olds to travel for free from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch and back.

And if I purchase the Good Morning Ticket for Jungfraujoch, the adult tickets will be cheaper (but this will mean I need to wake the kids really early to catch the 6am train 🙁 ).

Can I purchase the adult tickets and Junior Travelcards from the Interlaken OST station on the day of my visit?

Thanks again for your help.

Charan

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 May 2011 at 8:32:37 #832807

Hi Charan,

You’re welcome! You got it all right. The adult tickets can definitely be purchased at the Interlaken Ost rail station. I’m 99% sure that goes for the Junior travelcards as well. You can get those at SBB (federal railways) rail stations, but this is a BLS station. I would expect them to sell it to as they also accept it for free traveling. To be 100% sure, you can best ask the BLS.

• The thread ‘Question on the STS Family card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.