Questions about luggage and train reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 22:00:46 #812228

Hi:

We (2 adults and 2 kids < 16 yr old) have about 9-10 day long trip to Switzerland and north Italy in late July. We will be mainly staying in Wengen (4 nights), Luzern (1 night), Chur (1 night), take Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano and then spend 3 nights in North Italy.

We plan to buy Swiss Travel pass -2nd class for 8 consecutive days but I have a few questions about the trains.

1. How do we carry luggage in the trains? We will have about 2 backpacks, 2 carry-ons and 1 or 2 mid-size suitcases. Do we carry them with us in the train or is there a separate compartment for luggage?

2. Is it easy to carry so much luggage on trains? We seem to have 3 connections from Zurich to Wengen?

3. Is there reservation required on Interlaken Luzern Express from Interlaken Ost to Luzern ? Is this the right train which is part of the scenic Golden Pass line?

4. Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano – How many days in advance shall we reserve seats on this train?

5. Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano – if we buy Swiss Travel Pass for 2nd class, how can we upgrade to 1st class for just Bernina Express? Can we do this at the train station at Chur on the day of travel or would it be too late to do that and thus shall I do it on the SBB app a few days before? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 5:35:23 #864980

Hi Asha1,

1. You carry them on the train with you to your seat. The are luggage racks above you as well as some on either end of the train card usually. You will find people put their luggage anywhere they will fit on the train (except blocking the aisle). Sometimes your luggage may need to be put out of sight from your seat – this is fine 99% of the time
    2. Yes, fairly easy and quite common. You can also have luggage sent ahead with Swiss railways luggage service – click here to read more about it.
    3. Yes, this is part of the scenic Golden Pass route and no reservations are needed (trains leave frequently and are the only option on this route)
    4. I would make reservations on the Bernina Express as soon as you know the date you are traveling on it. It gets very busy in the summer
    5. You can upgrade with the SBB App or at the station. Once you have reserved the 1st class seat there is no rush to make the upgrade (just do so before boarding the train). Another member posted a how-to guide for doing this on the SBB app here.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 0:34:09 #864981

Thank you, Lucas.

Regarding the Bernina Express upgrade to 1st class – is it necessary to upgrade to 1st class? What would be the cons of the 2nd class?

Secondly, how much would it cost to upgrade to 1st class? We will have Swiss Travel Pass.

thanks

A

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 3:52:42 #864982

>> Regarding the Bernina Express upgrade to 1st class – is it necessary to upgrade to 1st class?

No, you can travel comfortably in second class (but make sure your reservations are also for 2nd class).

>> What would be the cons of the 2nd class?

It’s just a matter of personal preference, and how much you want to spend.

The Bernina Express website describes the difference between first and second class as follows:

1st class

In 1st class you benefit from generous space and plenty of leg room. 1st class offers generous, comfortable single and double seats. Thanks to the lower number of passengers per coach, your journey is quieter and more relaxed.

2nd class

2nd class offers comfortable double seats with sufficient leg room.

http://www.rhb.ch/en/service-souvenirs/contact/freq uently-asked-questions-faqs

>> Secondly, how much would it cost to upgrade to 1st class? We will have Swiss Travel Pass.

With a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass, you would pay half the difference between the 1st class and 2nd class fares. For one adult from Chur to Tirano, this would be CHF 24. You can check this yourself in the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 2:29:43 #864983

Thank you, Alpenrose. This is helpful.

I’ve kind of similar questions about the regional trains that we would be taken from Zurich to Jungfrau, in the Jungfrau region, from Jungfrau to Luzern and from Luzern to Chur.

Shall I consider getting STP for 1st class or 2nd class for these trains? What is the difference in the two classes? and how is the crowd towards the end of July?

I see the difference in price is about $200 for an adult STP.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 9:38:00 #864984

I would say the description fits for regional trains as well….leg room would be the same though. There might be fewer seats in each train car (and definitely fewer people).

I, and most people, think that the cost difference isn’t usually worth it (except for it being a bit quieter). Exceptions being for the panoramic trains where it can be quite nice – I really liked the Glacier Express in 1st class but can’t make the economics worth the extra cost on other trains.

I did do a long haul international train from Hamburg to Zurich in 1st class but there was a special price (only 10% more).

See our web page here on 1st class vs. 2nd class for Swiss trains.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Questions about luggage and train reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.